• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rode the new FX Nytro MTX in West Yellowstone

SilentSno

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha FX Nytro MTX
So here's my review of the Nytro MTX compared to other yamaha sleds I rode in the Demo Riding done by Yamaha in West Yellowstone, MT yesterday during the 2007 World Snowmobile Expo.

Some notes about myself

Currently ride a very heavy custom 2000 Arctic Cat Powder Special 700 with a Thundercat 900 triple inside. But rode the 700 motor the past 2 years. Previous sled experiences are Older Arctic Cats, Polaris Indy, along with newer Rev 800 and 600.

They had 10-12 sleds there and allowed 8 riders at a time following a demo guide and a guide at the end. I started on the FX Phazer MTX as my first ride.

FX Phazer MTX:
Quick, Nimple, and feels light weight
No top end, but expected because of only the 80hp
still fun great handling, if i get my wife into sledding its what i'd buy her

Then we switched and I got on what i drove down for, the FX Nytro MTX

FX Nytro MTX:
Torquey! Tons of it, they don't lie. Sled just wants to go
Also very nimple a lot like the Phazer, obviously not as light, but still rides light to me. (a lot compared to what i ride now: 900 triple Powder Special)

Then we switched again and I moved to a new Apex RTX

Apex RTX:
Tons of power, doesn't want to end
Less torque than the Nytro. The Nytro sends you back fast vs. the Apex kinda winds up, still fast and smooth.
Trails were very warm and slushy, so when I'd get off throttle backend would want to slide around on me.

We switched again and I was able to ride the Nytro MTX again, just sweet, if I was ever sold something this was the way to do it.

Overall:
As this was my first 4 stroke ride, I was very impressed with with the smoothness of the engines and love electric start. Never tried the reverse.
Build quality is top notch, probably the best in the industry. Gauges are ok. I wish they were bigger/easier to read, but not that big of a deal as I'm riding more than I care about what speed/rpm i'm at.

I was able to check out the sled more in person inside the expo. Its very compariable lifting the front end of the sled compared to mine. Rear end is a lot lighter than mine.

As a mountain rider, handlebar risers are very popular. I'm in this crowd. The Nytro MTX they had were good, but I'd still like a little bit more. I was told these aren't the final design to the handlebar/steering. And as another user posted he has a Nytro MTX with some larger risers, looks like a 4". If this is the case, I applaud Yamaha as this should be perfect.

Other notes are accessories. I need to carry gas and some accessories. I was glad to see they already had the exhaust turnout, tank bag, trunk bag, and rack, all decently priced.

I think I'll be contacting dealers shortly to snow check one. :)

dustin_nytro_mtx.jpg

unfortunately I don't. That crappy pic was taken with my camera phone.

Back