• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RS Venture - Blown Head Gasket?

Martinni

VIP Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 RS Venture RST90W
Have a 2007 RS Venture, 973cc. Oil blowing into the air breather box from the oil tank, and oil in the coolant reservoir. Crankcase oil looks normal. Engine still runs normally. I'm suspecting that the head gasket has failed. Are there any other component failures that can cause these symptoms?

Could also be the engine oil cooler but then that should also allow coolant into the oil.

Usually a blown head gasket will either allow coolant into the combustion chamber or the compressed air from the combustion chamber into the coolant. I once had the latter on my sled. It's pretty rare for oil to get into the coolant via the head gasket.

How long have you had this sled? Some oil in the air breather box is a bit normal, which is why they put two small pieces of filter foam in the lower corners. If it's excessive, either it has excessive blowby or it was once on its side.

I've had the sled for 5 years. Oil started leaking onto the ground from the bottom cowl in front of the inspection/oil change cover. It's not just a few drops. Its' leaking a lot. I pulled the air filter box cover off, and oil was running out of the crankcase/oil tank vent hose in the breather box. When the engine is running, there is air pressure also coming out of the hose. This problem started suddenly with a lot of oil leaking out the hose. I then noticed the anti-freeze in the coolant tank was a dark color. Upon taking the top off the tank, I discovered there was oil in the anti-freeze. Like I mentioned before, the engine starts and runs normally.

Back