• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX maintenance

stomper

TY 4 Stroke Master
Although I would love a new sled next year it's just not in the cards, so the 03 RX1 will be getting a thorough going over. I will be doing new exhaust donuts, front end bushings including spindle arms and bulkhead. The steering has a bit of slop so it will get some new bushings as well as anything else that is needed to tighten it up. I will also be replacing the drive axle and possibly drop to a smaller gear in the chain case. Clutches will also be looked at. The zx2 will get some tlc as well as a shock rebuild. What is the best stuff to get to replace the wore out front end and steering bushings. I would like to go with oilite but they don't make a full kit for the 03. I have faithfully greased my drive bearings but will also check them out and replace them if needed. Any recommendations on what to get or use would be appreciated.

Yeah thats the kit I have been looking at and will probably get. Is there aftermarket steering bushings that work better than the stock yamaha stuff, or any tricks/mods that will work. I want to tighten up the front end as much as possible. I will also be checking/replaceing the ski and spindle bushings.
Also what parts are needed to rebuild the drive and driven clutches other than springs and buttons. What will I need for bushings?

OK after some searching this is what I came up with for parts. Let me know if you have had any experience with these items and what you thought about them. This is for an 03 RX1

bulkhead/a arm/ and spindle bushings
http://pioneerperformance.net/store/page3.html

Steering bushings
http://oftracing.com/OnlineStore15/inde ... ucts_id=93

exhaust donuts
http://sledtoyz.com/component/virtuemar ... duct_id=96

As for the drive axle, steering rod ends and any other steering bushings I will have to go with stock as I can't find aftermarket

Is there a place that sells clutch rebuild kits (not performance kit) or is my best bet to just get oem.

Cool Thanks. Not sure about the drive shaft. I bought the sled with 11000 miles on and I know I didn't put a new one in. It now has just over 16600 miles.

Ulmer has a full Olite kit for RX-1

I believe those kits are for the 04 and 05 models. The kit will work for the 03 but the upper a arm inner and outer bushings won't work. I believe they changed the upper a arm after 03.

I actualy bought one but I haven't installed it yet. For it to work on the 03 the bulkhead bolts that bolt the a arms on to the bulkhead have to be replaces with 04 or newer bolts. The head of the bolt on the 03 is smaller and will not fit the hex hole in the BH saver. I had Travis send me some when I bought the saver kit and I will install everything when I replace all the front end bushings.

I have ordered the OFT steering bushings and will be ordering the pioneer bushing kit.

savers are going on in offseason.

OK parts are coming in the mail but the season is still in full swing. Just got another 6" of snow a couple days ago and more is suposed to be coming. but thats ok because I have a few things to order yet and 230 mile to go to reach my milage goal for this year.
I would like to clean the engine and everything else under the hood from all the belt dust, oil stains and other crap that has accumulated over the years. What is the best way to do this. Could I use something like "natural blue" and spray it everywhere then lightly pressure wash it. Or possibly "gunk engine cleaner". Is there any areas that I should avoid or cover up with plastic so I don't get wet?

Also I hear guys talking about spraying the sled down with wd40 or fluid film and stuff like that, is that to keep things from rusting and what exactly is prayed with this stuff.

Back