• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX-vector-apex Skid plate inserts need #

BigDogrx1

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2003 rx1
Hey guys wonder if someone nows where to get a set of inserts and scews needed when installing a skid plate.
On belly pan section you have to drill out rivets and install inserts w/screws.
Either seller or part # would sure be appreciated, or just where to get some the correct size that would work.
Thanks.

Found part# sma-8fa34-mt-kt

Hope I can install these inserts without special tool, anyone try?

The kit comes with all that's needed to install the threaded inserts,

Some of us on here have used longer inserts because the factor ones tend to pop out even if they are installed correctly, they seems to be a tad short,

I found some at local hardware supply store which worked great, about a quarter inch longer...

If you do and decide to use the oem inserts its very important... Make sure you use the correct drill bit size, if I remember correctly the Yamaha instruction says to use a 10mm drill bite, friend of mine used a 3/8" and it didn't work he had to go to the next size up on the threaded inserts,

If I where you try n find longer inserts...

The kit comes with all that's needed to install the threaded inserts,

Some of us on here have used longer inserts because the factor ones tend to pop out even if they are installed correctly, they seems to be a tad short,

I found some at local hardware supply store which worked great, about a quarter inch longer...

If you do and decide to use the oem inserts its very important... Make sure you use the correct drill bit size, if I remember correctly the Yamaha instruction says to use a 10mm drill bite, friend of mine used a 3/8" and it didn't work he had to go to the next size up on the threaded inserts,

If I where you try n find longer inserts...

The kit comes with an insert tool to install the rivnuts? Must be an expensive kit!

It's not the normal tool that you would use to install them, it's a bolt and nut lol, the nut holds the rivnut up again the hole while turning the supplied bolt which crimps the insert in the hole...

A much better option is to go the Local hardware store and pickup for rubber WELL nuts and put them in . I used SS HEX head bolts and have no problem in 8500 miles on my skid plate.

R800600-RUB_NUT.jpg

images

A much better option is to go the Local hardware store and pickup for rubber WELL nuts and put them in . I used SS HEX head bolts and have no problem in 8500 miles on my skid plate.

R800600-RUB_NUT.jpg

images
Agree. Just replaced some steel ones that had pulled out with these today. No tool needed to install them.

well nuts work great lots of issues with the rivnuts and need a tool to install. i only put 2 well nuts in when I installed mine as i didnt hace a stop for my drill bit and diddnt want to knick the collant hose on the other side and even packed full of snow and ice the two well nuts on the rear held all year no issues I went out and got a drill bit stop and thought i would do the other two during the season as i thought they would give me trouble but they never did so i put it off till this year and still need to do.

well nuts work great lots of issues with the rivnuts and need a tool to install. i only put 2 well nuts in when I installed mine as i didnt hace a stop for my drill bit and diddnt want to knick the collant hose on the other side and even packed full of snow and ice the two well nuts on the rear held all year no issues I went out and got a drill bit stop and thought i would do the other two during the season as i thought they would give me trouble but they never did so i put it off till this year and still need to do.
thanks, good to know

i came across this post,its a bit old but hopefully someone will still be listening. i plan to use the rubber well nuts as mentioned above. what would be the longest lenght i could insert without touching any engine parts. ive never used these well nuts before so i have no idea of there lenghts,i just dont want to buy the wrong lenght and damage something. thanks!

i came across this post,its a bit old but hopefully someone will still be listening. i plan to use the rubber well nuts as mentioned above. what would be the longest lenght i could insert without touching any engine parts. ive never used these well nuts before so i have no idea of there lenghts,i just dont want to buy the wrong lenght and damage something. thanks!
the screws that came with the skid plate originally were about 1 1/4 inches so i guess i'll keep about that lenght. also how thick is the aluminum frame?

R800600-RUB_NUT.jpg

images
hopw long of a screw did you use with these well nuts?

Back