• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX1 Turbo Jetting

GT Mills

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
RX1
I've been flying an RX1 on my gyrocopter since 2011, been the unchallenged climb champ for two-place rotorcraft ever since. Now Rotax is marketing a turbo aircraft engine that will finally be a serious challenger, it's now time for me to boost this beast to stay on top.

Typical sled turbo kits are basically useless, since the intercooler sticks way out in front of the engine as it is in the sled - which is the left side of my RX1 pusher with a prop mounted to the business end of it. But there's no sense in reinventing the wheel here, either - you guys already have all the tech info I need to get this project right, the first time, right out of the gate.

My first question is what to do about fuel delivery? In my Porsche 930 GT1 track car I ran in the 1990's it was mechanically fuel injected so all I had to do was add a 7th Indy-style injector at the outlet base of the intercooler which was electronically controlled to open when boost pressure rose above 0.7 Bar over MSL.

Maybe that's something that was used on RX1 turbos sleds in the past? I've installed AFR O2 metering, and realize how sensitive this engine is to the smallest changes in intake pressures. Jeez, ya open up the stock intake box by 1 s.i. and the thing goes so lean it loses 1000 ERPM.

Yeah, an Apex swap might make better sense...but if I can make this work with the RX1...

My website is www.mohawkaero.com, email is info@mohawkaerocraft.com

Any help and advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

Back