• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Schmidt bros. clutch kit and cold air intake

birkebeiner said:
KHEXX said:
I found out something interesting today....when trying to fine tune my clutch kit (because of underrevving a touch), I found that I installed the secondary spring in the wrong hole on the housing side of the clutch!!! I was impressed with this kit and i had it installed wrong!!! LOL Now my underrevving rpm loss problem will be fixed!!! :Rockon:

I should gain about 350-400 rpms throughout the whole curve!!!!!
:jump:

Now I just need snow to test it!!!

Any chance to test yet?

I have about 130 miles on it this year! It is snappy as H@#$!!!!! I'm revving right where Chris said i should be... I love the setup!! I also scored the dual exhaust off the classifieds and it sounds amazing!! All the mods work together perfectly with apex-like midrange! Awesome take off without breaking the track loose. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!!!!!

I have the Schmidt stage II kit just waiting to get into the sled. Unfortunately I'm not able to get it installed until a few weeks from now, but really looking forward to it, together with doing some suspension set up tweeks as recommended here. Never done any suspension tweeks in my life so really doing trail and error and hopefully learn along the way and make the sled even better ;)!

Reviving an old thread but researching the SB clutch kit as I plan to add one as part of my rebuild. Seems like the Stage II is the way to go and just do it! Looking for current comments from SB users, comfort only, stage I and stage II.

I ordered the air box modification last week which looks like nine mini air inlets... hoping to find one of their exhausts on ebay or on a parted out sled as well but need the 90 degree deflection so maybe wont work on my rack equipped XTX. I have been on a 1998 VMAX XTC 700 redhead since 2000 and look forward to my Nytro, I actually like all the tweaking as it dials things in as you learn about weaknesses.

Learning more now about the different clutch kit approaches for our Nytros. Apparently the SB used a smaller diameter roller and softer spring to reduce the engagement RPM and improve response mid through high range. If you have them machine the primary sheaves they will close closer pushing the belt higher creating a larger diameter "gear" effect equaling faster top end. Ulmer uses the stock roller diameter and supplies new arms with different weight options and a lighter spring to improve response and allows you to set engagement RPM via changing the arm weights. Then there are the Heel Clickers that have a patented extra "bump" on the arms creating two reactions from the same arm depending on where the roller is resting on the arm based on RPM and allowing the different weight adjustments (sounds cool). No price listed on their web but found them for $240 on another site... All seem to adjust the secondary with their own helix "angle" and spring rate to allow a smaller diameter "gear" at higher RPM and hence faster. I think I have things right, perhaps not, all very interesting... for me I want to install it and ride it without a lot of fiddling, not doing daily race setups so happy with the SB primary as a starting point test.

Heel Clicker.jpg SB Comfort Clutch.jpg SB Quiet Clutch.jpg SB Secondary Clutch Machining.jpg Ulmer Nytro Clutch Kit.jpg

Learning more now about the different clutch kit approaches for our Nytros. Apparently the SB used a smaller diameter roller and softer spring to reduce the engagement RPM and improve response mid through high range. If you have them machine the primary sheaves they will close closer pushing the belt higher creating a larger diameter "gear" effect equaling faster top end. Ulmer uses the stock roller diameter and supplies new arms with different weight options and a lighter spring to improve response and allows you to set engagement RPM via changing the arm weights. Then there are the Heel Clickers that have a patented extra "bump" on the arms creating two reactions from the same arm depending on where the roller is resting on the arm based on RPM and allowing the different weight adjustments (sounds cool). No price listed on their web but found them for $240 on another site... All seem to adjust the secondary with their own helix "angle" and spring rate to allow a smaller diameter "gear" at higher RPM and hence faster. I think I have things right, perhaps not, all very interesting... for me I want to install it and ride it without a lot of fiddling, not doing daily race setups so happy with the SB primary as a starting point test.

View attachment 132442 View attachment 132443 View attachment 132444 View attachment 132445 View attachment 132446
You will like it. I have the stage 2 in my sled and it made my sled a new beast. Engagement is super smooth and it pulls like a train.

Deep, nice to hear that... Chris seems solid and I like his story, love to support a small company doing it especially if we all benefit each ride. What do you do when time to replace your weights? Heard the smaller rollers and Heels don't play nice, what do you run?

Deep, nice to hear that... Chris seems solid and I like his story, love to support a small company doing it especially if we all benefit each ride. What do you do when time to replace your weights? Heard the smaller rollers and Heels don't play nice, what do you run?
When I talked to Chris he told me to run my stock MTX weights but he sent me custom rivets for my riding style so I'm not sure on the weights he sent me. Its been awhile since I installed the kit.

Found this thread on page 14 but wanted to post end of last season impressions on the SB mods I made. One word... FANTASTIC! With the quiet clutch / primary clutch kit, air box breathers I now have 2800 rpm smooth roll on with great midrange pull 45-65 mph (and throaty sound like you flipped the air cleaner over on your Dads V8 in high school... Lol). The steering pins and steering shim removed that play we all have so touch the bars and the skis move, sweet on the trails on the power out exits when you feel your skis bite like on rails (the Bergstrom set up was key there too). The block off plate was a great add, dropped 40 lb of ice build up, and the quality of the plate was first rate, worth the money IMO vs messing around trying to fab your own. Lastly the rear suspension shims and high tolerance plastic collars tightened up the ship back there. Next is an exhaust upgrade. Thanks Chris for making these mods for our Nytros, keep up the great work.

Found this thread on page 14 but wanted to post end of last season impressions on the SB mods I made. One word... FANTASTIC! With the quiet clutch / primary clutch kit, air box breathers I now have 2800 rpm smooth roll on with great midrange pull 45-65 mph (and throaty sound like you flipped the air cleaner over on your Dads V8 in high school... Lol). The steering pins and steering shim removed that play we all have so touch the bars and the skis move, sweet on the trails on the power out exits when you feel your skis bite like on rails (the Bergstrom set up was key there too). The block off plate was a great add, dropped 40 lb of ice build up, and the quality of the plate was first rate, worth the money IMO vs messing around trying to fab your own. Lastly the rear suspension shims and high tolerance plastic collars tightened up the ship back there. Next is an exhaust upgrade. Thanks Chris for making these mods for our Nytros, keep up the great work.

Tell Chris to maybe donate some funds to TY for all that free press.

Tell Chris to maybe donate some funds to TY for all that free press.
I don't know anything about that, I just wanted to let other Nytro owners about products that worked for me...

I don't know anything about that, I just wanted to let other Nytro owners about products that worked for me...

I know its not directed at you. Its directed at him. I know he watches. For some reason those guys that have great products just are to cheap to take that next step to really get the word out there. Oh well.. cant hate me for trying. With out advertisers and VIP members there would be no TY.

I know its not directed at you. Its directed at him. I know he watches. For some reason those guys that have great products just are to cheap to take that next step to really get the word out there. Oh well.. cant hate me for trying. With out advertisers and VIP members there would be no TY.
Lol... No worries, small businesses often run lean, I know, thanks for all your great work with this site and to all those that take the time to make Nytro parts that improve an already great sled!

Back