• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

sd 26 code - 80mph limp mode

Found it in FAQ

fuel-pump-relay-cold-start-jpg.134631

error26.jpg

The Green circled items are the valve and sensor for the boost. Your tubes can get water in them from condensation and then the sensor throws a code 26. You would be surprised the amount of water in the tubes along with some blow by oil. To fix the error we took both the sensor and valve inside overnight to dry out and drained all the water out of the tubes and intercooler. In very cold weather the water freezes and plugs the sensors. Try this before spending $200 on a new sensor. It took about 15 miles for the error code to clear.

Last edited:
So I had my first issue with my SW XTX, and it was the "sd 26 alarm" Sled is bone stock. Took it into a dealer due to having my YES five year warranty. Dealer ran the sled and tried to get the code to come on for them and was unsuccessful. So I was charged a hundred bucks for the time that it took for the dealer to try and find the issue with the sled. Due to the dealer not being able to have the sled go into the sd 26 alarm and limp mode they said the warranty does not cover anything. They told me they did see the code had been tripped but there was nothing that looked to have caused it to happen. US 27 Motorsports told me to contact Yamaha and see if there was anything they would do about the charges but because there was no issues that they find they had to charge me for their time.

Sure hope no one else is having this kind of an issue with their sleds or even a dealer.

I contacted YES and they advised me there was nothing Yamaha was going to do that if a Yamaha Authorized dealer could not find an issue with the machine then they have no warranty responsibility for the snowmobile. I inquired if Yamaha had any kind of records for what sd 26 was. She advised that Yamaha indicates that it is an issue with a turbo pressure. I asked the YES representative if they are aware of that code and have the system on the snowmobile code bank to display the code if it is sensing an issue that Yamaha is aware of it. The manager for YES said, "Well we do have documentation for it, but I am not a technician so I can't explain why it would happen." "I am sorry sir for your issue that you had but if a Yamaha Authorized dealer could not find any factor issues with the snowmobile then Yamaha Extended Service warranty is not responsible for any issues you may have had while using the machine."

So long story short guys. If you happen to have this code or any code display on your machine I hope you can diagnose the issue before you have a dealer look at it, otherwise you may be in same boat I am in and have YES tell you, "Sorry sir but you have to take it to another dealer and we will see if they find anything."

Hopefully the fact that a trip to the UP where it flashed the code about six times on Sunday and five times on Monday, it was just a fluke and it will never happen again. Because per the dealer and YES there is nothing wrong with the snowmobile and they don't have any answers as to why it may have thrown the code.

Happy riding guys.

dox codes are stored in the ecu until cleared...just because the code cleared from the gauge display doesnt mean the fault wasnt stored..

call the owner of the dealership and tell them you want a refund....

fyi that code can come from a boost leak like a charge tube...or loose or missing turbo mount bolts...or an aftermarket muffler..

Oh the dealer out right said they saw the code and cleared it for me, but because they could not replace anything the warranty does not cover it. I explained this to YES and their answer was, "Well sir if the dealer could not locate any factor defects then your YES warranty does not have anything to cover. That's where I questioned about the code and why the code would be in the system if it wasn't something Yamaha was aware of and wanted to make sure protected the machine. YES said, "Well sir you can contact the dealer again, and have them look at it again to see if they can have the code flash for them. Otherwise YES warranty can not help you."

Both the dealer and Yamaha are aware of the code and what it is for but state I am responsible for payment due to no factory defect being located.

I had this issue last year with mine. The main cause was loose clamps on charge hose to turbo. Tightened all clamps and that solved it. At same time also had mechanic install NorLok washers on turbo bolts as he heard they have a tendency to loosen. Have over thousand miles since and no codes. Mechanic also said he has heard of sometimes this code being thrown due to intake tubes icing up. I did have a slight oil leak at oil pan which seems to be another issue from factory where they didn't get enough sealant on. Simple fix but did need to take pan off clean and apply AMPLE amount of sealant and let set overnight. Hope this helps.

So I had my first issue with my SW XTX, and it was the "sd 26 alarm" Sled is bone stock. Took it into a dealer due to having my YES five year warranty. Dealer ran the sled and tried to get the code to come on for them and was unsuccessful. So I was charged a hundred bucks for the time that it took for the dealer to try and find the issue with the sled. Due to the dealer not being able to have the sled go into the sd 26 alarm and limp mode they said the warranty does not cover anything. They told me they did see the code had been tripped but there was nothing that looked to have caused it to happen. US 27 Motorsports told me to contact Yamaha and see if there was anything they would do about the charges but because there was no issues that they find they had to charge me for their time.

Sure hope no one else is having this kind of an issue with their sleds or even a dealer.

I contacted YES and they advised me there was nothing Yamaha was going to do that if a Yamaha Authorized dealer could not find an issue with the machine then they have no warranty responsibility for the snowmobile. I inquired if Yamaha had any kind of records for what sd 26 was. She advised that Yamaha indicates that it is an issue with a turbo pressure. I asked the YES representative if they are aware of that code and have the system on the snowmobile code bank to display the code if it is sensing an issue that Yamaha is aware of it. The manager for YES said, "Well we do have documentation for it, but I am not a technician so I can't explain why it would happen." "I am sorry sir for your issue that you had but if a Yamaha Authorized dealer could not find any factor issues with the snowmobile then Yamaha Extended Service warranty is not responsible for any issues you may have had while using the machine."

So long story short guys. If you happen to have this code or any code display on your machine I hope you can diagnose the issue before you have a dealer look at it, otherwise you may be in same boat I am in and have YES tell you, "Sorry sir but you have to take it to another dealer and we will see if they find anything."

Hopefully the fact that a trip to the UP where it flashed the code about six times on Sunday and five times on Monday, it was just a fluke and it will never happen again. Because per the dealer and YES there is nothing wrong with the snowmobile and they don't have any answers as to why it may have thrown the code.

Happy riding guys.

I had a problem with both of my 2016 1200 Doo's overheating and nobody else in my group did. I brought it to my dealer and told him about it and if they could check out the coolant or maybe the thermostats. He told me he could do a diagnostic check but if they couldn't find anything wrong they would have to charge me for the time they spent. I told them to stick it and since I bought scratchers for both sleds. I also have a new dealer. Both sleds were brand new and I had a three year warranty on them.

All I have to say is thank God for this site and the knowledge here. Some of these dealers are pretty crappy. Was obviously a documented code. Cant find something to replace so Warranty kicks in. Wow just wow.

Clamp coming off Turbo is narrow and not tight enough . I have posted this several times on the Sd 26 code. Not a fan of the hose clamps used on these machines. Replaced mine with a wider clamp and Checked and tightened ALL hose clamps on ALL charge tubes.

What clamps did u switch too? Something you grabbed at napa?

I think a big part of the 25 or 26 code has to with the oil tank breather and role over valve line run into the intake. I too was getting random 26, 25 code. Always had a watery oil mist in the intake and that is what is screwing up the sensors.
Since I deleted the role over valve and ran the vent out the bottom, I have not had a single code.

I think a big part of the 25 or 26 code has to with the oil tank breather and role over valve line run into the intake. I too was getting random 26, 25 code. Always had a watery oil mist in the intake and that is what is screwing up the sensors.
Since I deleted the role over valve and ran the vent out the bottom, I have not had a single code.
I concur with this. BUT it can also be a clamp

Ok so here is the update with my code issue and YES warranty coverage. So I called and complained to YES inquiring about what is covered and why if there was a code that needed to be cleared from my SW was the service work not covered by YES. I was given a run around for a couple of days and then contacted by a YES cooperate person asking me to take my SW back to the dealer that performed the work. I advised them I was not interested in having to pay for a "diagnosis" to be performed on my snowmobile again with no changes or fixes performed. He advised me that YES was willing to pay for the snowmobile to be checked again for the why the code was being displayed. I was then contacted by the manager of US 27 motorsports and told that Yamaha had contacted them and informed US 27 that they wanted my SW checked again and actually told them four other issues to check to see if that would be why the code was being displayed. I asked the manager of US 27 what the other things Yamaha is now saying needs to be checked. He said, "I am not sure what they were, Yamaha talked with my service manager, so if you want to bring your snowmobile back in we will check it over and see if we can figure out what the problem is." I ended up taking the snowmobile back to US 27 and was told it would be done in a couple of days. I picked the snowmobile up four days later and was told the service manager was on break, but wanted to talk with me. I asked for the paperwork to show what was done on my sled and was given a print out stating, "Diagnostics performed" So I had no clue what was done. I was given the service managers phone number and asked to call him so I could talk with him about what needed to be done. I asked what they meant by "what needed to be done." The person said, "Well I think you need to bring the snowmobile back." Long story short, I called the service manager while I was driving north for the weekend and hoping to have a good ride with a fixed or repaired snowmobile. The service manager told me he was not able to test ride the snowmobile due to the warm up and loss of snow. So he asked me to do a couple hard runs on the snowmobile for a mile or so and then take the air box cover off and see if there was any oil in the box. He said he did change the sensor but was told that there could be oil being pushed thru the system and causing the code to be displayed. He said if there is oil in the air box then there is possibly a valve sticking or even a ring leaking. So yeah I felt really good now with the unknown of what may happen while I am riding over the weekend.
Ultimately I rode the sled about four hundred miles over the weekend without any issues, codes or oil in the air box. I contacted YES again and asked what if any compensation I was going to receive for having to pay for the initial service charge I was charged and then having to take the snowmobile back into the shop for further work to be performed. I printed out a map quest direction map showing how many miles it was from my house to the shop, being that the trip was performed a total of four times (drop off and pick up twice) which was two hundred and forty two miles. YES told me that could not reimburse customers for any expense that the customer may incur, but would be willing to give me a credit for any further service work I may get on my snowmobile or even if I wanted to shop on Yamaha's website I would be given a credit for something. I asked for something to be sent to me stating what or how much credit YES was going to provide me for me having to use my YES warranty for a "WARRANTY Work on a CODE malfunction on a Yamaha product." So I will update you all with what a YES warranty feels is reasonable for time loss and expense of charges for those with Yamaha Extended Warranty coverage.

Ok so here is the update with my code issue and YES warranty coverage. So I called and complained to YES inquiring about what is covered and why if there was a code that needed to be cleared from my SW was the service work not covered by YES. I was given a run around for a couple of days and then contacted by a YES cooperate person asking me to take my SW back to the dealer that performed the work. I advised them I was not interested in having to pay for a "diagnosis" to be performed on my snowmobile again with no changes or fixes performed. He advised me that YES was willing to pay for the snowmobile to be checked again for the why the code was being displayed. I was then contacted by the manager of US 27 motorsports and told that Yamaha had contacted them and informed US 27 that they wanted my SW checked again and actually told them four other issues to check to see if that would be why the code was being displayed. I asked the manager of US 27 what the other things Yamaha is now saying needs to be checked. He said, "I am not sure what they were, Yamaha talked with my service manager, so if you want to bring your snowmobile back in we will check it over and see if we can figure out what the problem is." I ended up taking the snowmobile back to US 27 and was told it would be done in a couple of days. I picked the snowmobile up four days later and was told the service manager was on break, but wanted to talk with me. I asked for the paperwork to show what was done on my sled and was given a print out stating, "Diagnostics performed" So I had no clue what was done. I was given the service managers phone number and asked to call him so I could talk with him about what needed to be done. I asked what they meant by "what needed to be done." The person said, "Well I think you need to bring the snowmobile back." Long story short, I called the service manager while I was driving north for the weekend and hoping to have a good ride with a fixed or repaired snowmobile. The service manager told me he was not able to test ride the snowmobile due to the warm up and loss of snow. So he asked me to do a couple hard runs on the snowmobile for a mile or so and then take the air box cover off and see if there was any oil in the box. He said he did change the sensor but was told that there could be oil being pushed thru the system and causing the code to be displayed. He said if there is oil in the air box then there is possibly a valve sticking or even a ring leaking. So yeah I felt really good now with the unknown of what may happen while I am riding over the weekend.
Ultimately I rode the sled about four hundred miles over the weekend without any issues, codes or oil in the air box. I contacted YES again and asked what if any compensation I was going to receive for having to pay for the initial service charge I was charged and then having to take the snowmobile back into the shop for further work to be performed. I printed out a map quest direction map showing how many miles it was from my house to the shop, being that the trip was performed a total of four times (drop off and pick up twice) which was two hundred and forty two miles. YES told me that could not reimburse customers for any expense that the customer may incur, but would be willing to give me a credit for any further service work I may get on my snowmobile or even if I wanted to shop on Yamaha's website I would be given a credit for something. I asked for something to be sent to me stating what or how much credit YES was going to provide me for me having to use my YES warranty for a "WARRANTY Work on a CODE malfunction on a Yamaha product." So I will update you all with what a YES warranty feels is reasonable for time loss and expense of charges for those with Yamaha Extended Warranty coverage.

who did you talk to? Ive had my experiences with them...a certain employee trying to bs me not knowing I knew more than him...

Back