• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Seafoam & Supreme Gas?

Ours are sleeping in the enclosed trailer with full tanks of gas with seafoam and a dehumidifier.

Re: tank

Mooseman said:
Sasquatch said:
yamadog1 said:
is it better to fill tank or take most out for summer?

My sleds sleep in the garage! I empty the tanks! Storing a sled outside is just wrong in my books and leads to so many problems. I cringe everytime I see one stored outside under a tarp. Better off to just leave it uncovered in the middle of a field.

Some of us just don't have the space to be able to store them indoors or have a covered trailer. I put them on the trailer and take them to a rental semi-outdoor storage at a farm covered with either the sled cover or a tarp. Not the best but I make do with what I have.

If its a breathable tarp your fine. I see guys go to Canadian tire and buy a crap polyester tarp, then wrap the sled in it and figure they have done it a favor. All it does is trap moisture under the tarp fill the tank/motor and cover everything with condensation. Then rust the sled to hell (Lucky our sleds are now 99.% material that does not rust or corrode). Stock cover is probably the best thing out there. Then spray everything with something to keep the sled parts protected (I used to spray wd40 or TKX all over my motorcycle because it was in a uninsulated no vapor barrier shed, made a mess but keep the rust at bay) Id grease all my electrical connections to keep the moisture out. Yep tank full is best and fog the hell out of the motor was the way back in the day.

My old jet boat got a serious fogging and then a teaspoon of oil down each sparkplug hole. Spun over a few times with no spark and left for the winters sleep!

A buddy had a lean to (Just a roof) on the side of his garage put the sled on pallets up off the ground and covered it with the stock cover. Roof kept the sun and rain off the sled and the openess of the lean to allowed the air to circulate. He had no serious problems because of it. Flip side I know a guy who covered his with a piece of black plastic and left in in the driveway, the motor was locked solid come winter and every piece of steel was rusted a nice browny red color.

There are lots who store thier sleds outside and I was one at one time. Then I built a garage and no its not for my vehicles its for my toys. Since that time I have found that stored indoors is the best thing for your toys and I will never store them outside again. If I had no garage I'd sell my toys as I'll never store then outside again. Been there done that and cried the tears over damage done.

Interesting, this same subject comes up no matter what the motorized toy is, excluding electric... As others, I use Seafoam in every engine I own. As far as how much fuel I leave in for storage, I like less than 1/2 tank. That allows me to put a bunch of fresh gas in when I'm ready to use whatever toy. And no, I haven't had any issues...... Your results may vary... ;)!

Back