• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Searching for my next sled

Blue_Blooded

I was wondering if you guys could help me with my next sled purchase. I want to buy a 4-stroke for the next year and maybe it is too early to start researching, but I want to know I am making the right choice. Im done with college and love Yamahas. I own a mountain srx, but really want a 4-stroke. I like aggressive trail and powder riding. I don't need reverse cuz I can lift the sleds easy enough. Im leaning towards EFI for ease ability, but won't shy away from carbs. Any suggestions are appreciated so let them fly.

What is your budget? I have an '04 RX-Warrior which is carb'd not efi, which I absolutely love! It's really good on trails, very good on lakes, and decent in deeper snow. You can probably find one for about 4-5K depending on mileage and condition. If you are buying new I would seriously consider looking at the new Nytro RTX. If this machine came in a 136" track It would be my next sled. Until then, I am VERY happy with my old Warrior!

Welcome!!

It's never to early to start researching, it is the best thing you can do. I bought my sled this spring when i just turned 19, and i was on here at least a year before bugging all these guys about questions which was very helpfull, the people on this site are great! First you got to ask yourself if you want to buy new or used? Can you afford it? What size engine is right for you? If you had the SRX i'm guessing a Apex is right around your area, or Nytro. It depends alot on your riding style. I have a 2007 Apex GT, i love it, but everyone is different. 4-strokes are deffinately the way to go no doubt, can't go wrong. It is awsome not worrying about your engine burning down or having to check the oil after every ride. And the exhaust out the rear is SWEET!!! I would suggest getting reverse, for one it is going to be hard to find a 4-stroke without reverse, and for the little weight it adds it is worth it. I use it all the time, once you have it you will never go back. Plus, what you pay extra to get it, you will get most of that back on resale, and it will be much easier to sell the sled as most people want these sleds with reverse, as they are big heavy 1000's. If you are family with the big power, i would say go Apex, it is 10 times better then the RX-1 imo, and the engine and rider foward is amazing. If you are into jumping and off trail, the Nytro may be right for you, it is almost as fast, but much lighter. Personally i don't like the looks, but they will grow on me. Hope this helps. :Rockon:

Jordan

It took me quite a while before I finally made the decision to go 4 stroke. I rode Ski Doo since 81 and was never disappointed with the machines so the jump for me was a pretty big issue. I too spent a lot of time lurking on this site reading & seeing what the common problems were with what I wanted before I joined and started asking questions. Actually I had another Doo ordered but time spent here as well as at the local Yamaha dealer slowly brought me around until I decided that 4 stroke was the way to go and bought a RS Venture GT. I can tell you that after 700km so far I am not disappointed in my choice. The motor rocks, the machine is comfortable and it handles quite well for what I want. I was even pleasantly surprised at how capable it is in deep snow. Do your research, take your time and make sure that you get exactly what you want. There is a lot of good info here and people who are willing to tell you the bad along with the good so that you can make an informed choice.

Thanks for the info guys! For budget that has yet to be determined due to knowing what the sleds are worth used and my situation come next winter. Im currently working on getting a career job for the local sheriff's department in my home town. If all goes well I might pick up a brand new or year old sled. I really want to feel out the whole lineup from 03' to now to see if I should start out with older or brand new. I figure if I pick up a 121'' I am going to exend to a more preferable 144". My mountain srx was changed to a 141" and was happy with the powder capability, and want that again. My buddies go out to the mountains every year and I would like to go out as well. As for now I will be looking for a candidate that can handle rough aggressive rails and step-up to the powder as well.

01' mountain max 700, 02' mountain max700 modded, 99' mountain max 700 modded, 01' srx 'second sled', 97' vmax 500 'third sled/ gf's sled', 05' mxz 800 modded 144", 05' summit 800 'second sled'.

When I say modded I mean engine work done. My friends love their toys and it doesn't stop at their sleds. Stock is not in our vocabulary either.

Get a Nytro stretch it out to a 144 and add a turbo...They will all look Up to you in envy...LOL

i would say go right to the mountain apex or nitro if it fits the budget. the power should be the same if not better and i know from rideing tomseal's apex mountain that they are pretty good in the trails as well with the smaller paddle tracks.

yeah an apex mtn se would be awesome, but for the track length and living in northern mn doesnt exactly go hand in hand.

How difficult is it to switch tracks out? if its a one nighter with 2 hours or so i might get a 136" and when I go out west just switch the track and skid out.

Does the mtn apex have better features like drop and rolled chaincase, extrovert drivers like the ski-doo's summit has compared to their mxz?

I would pick up a 144" Nytro if it happens. I like those sleds alot.

From what it appears, most of the mountain guys are starting to run turbo'd and supercharged Nytro's.
If you like to do both kinds of riding, and don't have a real need for studs, a 136 Nytro with an 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 track would really rock!
Check out Ulmers Nytro, it has alot of really cool stuff on it (srxspec)

I would think the nytro with a 136 kit would be what you want..

But you will need to add wide skis, skid plate and probobly A-arms plates to make it float well in the deap snow.. as these new sleds done have much of a belly pan..

BB, where in northern MN do you live? I have an 07 APEX RTX that I stretched out to a 144" length. I also have the ZX-2 suspension. I absolutly love the sled. I am heading to the mountains in Feb. and I will put on a 2" track before I go out. I can't speak for the RX-1 or Warrior, as I have never changed a track on one, but the RS-Nytro Apex, and Attak are some of the easiest track changes I have ever done. I have worked for dealers of 3 of the 4 major manufactures over the years.

I used to ride a 144"" MM700 till I went 4 stroke. One thing to keep in mind is the ripsaw track is not a good deep snow track. I was personally dissappointed with my 06 Attak as far as off trail ability. After I traded it in, I realized a track change might have made a world of difference.

IMO a 144" is the perfect crossover length. Still handles great on the trails, yet somewhat capable in the mountains when equipped with the right track. I have always said a long track will ride smoother than a short track on choppy trails.

Let me know where you are at. Maybe we can hook up some time and you can see what you think of my RTX. I have also owned 2 RS Nytro's and would have loved to stretch one of those out.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

grizz1, I live in Two harbors. I also will be heading outwest my self on Thursday for a week and half and will get to try a couple different sleds out there.

What I am looking for is a good starter sled in the 4-stroke class. I grew up on bikes so I like aggressive riding ALOT. Since I am going out west I guess we will see how much I ant a longer track.

Back