• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Selling into Canada???

Rooster said.
They do use the excuse of extra paper work, but lets be realistic. Declared value of contents and maybe 2 more questions they have to answer. Does that justify the mark up that we get?? I have shipped in country and out of country, and I'm in and out of the post office in the same amount of time!
I have dealt with some vendors that only bill the exact amount of shipping and that should be the only way that vendors should bill. And never claim full value, I hate when I need to pay duty!!

It isn't cheap shipping international. USPS just jacked up the rates this past spring it now costs me $35-40 just to ship a jacket where it used to be 25-30. I always charge less than that but this keeps cutting into what little profit there is selling online with Paypal fees and selling fees. Everyone expects the vendor to absorb all costs but there is a limit. I do free shipping on most products in the US because I have to be competitive. It cost $20+ to ship a $90 helmet to California. Do the math and realize there is no money in that. No one expects to take a pay cut from their wages but vendors are expected to reduce product prices and ship for free or less. And it can be a hassle for us to ship overseas, I have had a few issues with lost packages and if full value is not declared, any insurance I can recover is based on that value. Tell me if you think its fair to declare $100 for a $300 jacket and its lost and I could lose over $200? Its a hassle when you ship a jacket and bibs to Russia and it never gets to customs and I have to reimburse the buyer $400. I have shipped all over the world and know that its more than just writing a couple of things on a customs form.
I never said anything about vendors absorbing costs!?! Just to bill the actual shipping price with no markups.
And I think a quick Email between customer and vendor on what to declare for price would be a smart idea. 90% of the time i would say to put a low value and I will take the risk of it getting lost.
Finally, like I said, it is not any more painful to ship to the U.S. as it is to ship within Canada. Sure, maybe there is more paperwork is involved to ship to other parts of the world, BUT the title of the thread is SELLING INTO CANADA! Not shipping to Russia.

I never said anything about vendors absorbing costs!?! Just to bill the actual shipping price with no markups.
And I think a quick Email between customer and vendor on what to declare for price would be a smart idea. 90% of the time i would say to put a low value and I will take the risk of it getting lost.
Finally, like I said, it is not any more painful to ship to the U.S. as it is to ship within Canada. Sure, maybe there is more paperwork is involved to ship to other parts of the world, BUT the title of the thread is SELLING INTO CANADA! Not shipping to Russia.

Its all the same dude. I speak from experience, not conjecture. Paperwork is exactly the same and it isn't as easy for me as to shipping to the states. And declaring a lower value does not protect the seller if you use PayPal and file a claim against the seller, I could only recover that amount from USPS when I file a lost package claim that takes weeks to resolve and I had this happen. I personally only charge exact or less shipping charges to shipping to Canada and it isn't always painless when packages are late in customs and customers complain to me even when tracking shows I shipped same day. There will always be more risk and effort for us to ship international and that includes Canada. But I will continue to do so.

Last edited:

Back