• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Set up help - Not enough ski pressure on my XTX

msg

Veteran
Website
www.c2innovation.com
What is the best way to add more ski pressure on the 09 XTX. I'm new to the Yamaha suspension settings and would like to start dialing it in more to my riding style. I weight 175 and like to ride the trails aggresive.

What adjustments have you made?

Thanks for any help!

For more ski pressure you'll want to shorten the front strap a hole or two and set the front spring to zero preload (just snug enought to keep the spring from rattling on the shock).

I'd suggest shortening the strap first. If this gives you more ski pressure than you want, snug up the front spring a little.

I run my RTX with the strap up two holes and zero spring pressure - with stock skis - and it works well for me.

The other option would be to put on 50-pounds.

arteeex said:
For more ski pressure you'll want to shorten the front strap a hole or two and set the front spring to zero preload (just snug enought to keep the spring from rattling on the shock).

I'd suggest shortening the strap first. If this gives you more ski pressure than you want, snug up the front spring a little.

I run my RTX with the strap up two holes and zero spring pressure - with stock skis - and it works well for me.

The other option would be to put on 50-pounds.

Hmmm 50 pounds may be tough to reach this year!

Thanks for the help. What is the best way to do this.. sled on it's side; ratched down the front?

No.... not really.

I just now noticed that the settings on the front springs were at differnet settings (left compared to right; both top and botom). I believe the manual said they should be set the same. (?)

Unfortunetly, there's not enough snow in southern Maine to take it out to try different adjustments.

msg said:
Unfortunetly, there's not enough snow in southern Maine to take it out to try different adjustments.
Which is exactly why I would not initially adjust the limiter strap because you could hate the settings and then be stuck with them until you got back home. Try the shocks first as these can be adjusted trail side.

How could clicker adjustment possible affect ski pressure? Spring preload? Maybe, but not the right place to start and nobody I know carries a spring wrench with them when riding. Ski pressure is adjusted at the limiters, and from what I've seen on both my XTXs the limiters need to be reduced in length by at least one position. To reduce ski pressure you'd relax the limiters and increase the front arm shock preload. At stock shock settings from the factory and sitting on flat ground both my XTXs had slack in the limiters. XTXs have two front limiter straps, by the way, and adjusting them on the trail is very simple. Pick a packed spot so you can find the nuts and washers if you drop one. Lay across the seat to load the suspension and lean over to reach the strap. Easy. Spin around and repeat on the other side. If you need more slack toss a piece of something solid....ice, snow, wood, etc under the forward part of the skid to get more unloading of the front arm.

I reduced both my sled's limiters by 1 position. Until the new skid shocks arrive that's all I'll do.

SB

stewartb said:
How could clicker adjustment possible affect ski pressure? Spring preload? Maybe, but not the right place to start and nobody I know carries a spring wrench with them when riding. Ski pressure is adjusted at the limiters, and from what I've seen on both my XTXs the limiters need to be reduced in length by at least one position. To reduce ski pressure you'd relax the limiters and increase the front arm shock preload. At stock shock settings from the factory and sitting on flat ground both my XTXs had slack in the limiters. XTXs have two front limiter straps, by the way, and adjusting them on the trail is very simple. Pick a packed spot so you can find the nuts and washers if you drop one. Lay across the seat to load the suspension and lean over to reach the strap. Easy. Spin around and repeat on the other side. If you need more slack toss a piece of something solid....ice, snow, wood, etc under the forward part of the skid to get more unloading of the front arm.

Thanks for the tip. Just for kicks.. I went out and placed a board under the track and adjusted both straps by one hole. Only took a few minutes with an 11mm ratchet and wrench. Easy to undo on the trial if I decide I don't like the "feel".

I reduced both my sled's limiters by 1 position. Until the new skid shocks arrive that's all I'll do.

SB

Thanks for the tips. Just for kicks.. I went out and placed a board under the track and adjusted both straps by one hole. Only took a few minutes with an 11mm ratchet and wrench. Easy to undo on the trial if I decide I don't like the "feel".

Drove it around the yard a few times and it seems better. but we'll see once I can really ride.

Arnold08 said:
Ive said it once Twice and ill say it a million TIMES LIMITER STRAP and a good set of CARBIDEs haha

I agree with you 100%. The limiter strap 1 hole is huge on the shorties (121). I seen rear transfer rods on the XTX. I know that helped my warrior with ski pressure?

msg said:
Thanks for the tips. Just for kicks.. I went out and placed a board under the track and adjusted both straps by one hole. Only took a few minutes with an 11mm ratchet and wrench. Easy to undo on the trial if I decide I don't like the "feel".

Drove it around the yard a few times and it seems better. but we'll see once I can really ride.

11? I thought they were 10mm. Not trying to bust you but just want to make sure you've got the right tools with ya.

LJ 452 said:
msg said:

11? I thought they were 10mm. Not trying to bust you but just want to make sure you've got the right tools with ya.

Mines 10mm.

Shortening the strap 2 holes worked for me.

Back