• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Too much ski bite? Pros/Cons?

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 Yamaha Nytro XTX - 144
Hi all, I have 09 Nytro XTX with agressive snowtrackers on. This has eliminated all of my darting issues, however the intructions were to tighten up the centre shock to reduce the ski pressure, which I have done initially, then loosened it numerous times after that after finding I was gettin more push than bite. I seem to be at an OK point now but I feel like I can add additional ski pressure as I don't have any issues with steering effort. So my question to you all is what is the negative of having too much ski pressure? Too much bite can dig in and potentially roll me and the sled?
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but i'm still trying to get the machine to handle a little better. Confidence inspiring it is not.

P.S. felt like this is a general question for all snowmobiles. and thus I didn't post it under the Nytro subcategory.

Last edited:

Just be careful when adding weight, you will find the best position with some testing, more or less ski pressure for the conditions, I had some troubles when I first used snowtrackers with to much ski pressure, I just let air out of my front fox shocks till it felt the best for trail riding, to much ski pressure and crusty snow is bad, mine still pushes in the corners a bit so i'm just mindful of it, mine tracks straight now but these trackers seem to have alot of drag, you will notice this when you come off a softer trail onto a hard pack the most.

Too much ski pressure can cause extra effort to steer, making your arms tired so you won't be able to ride as much.... Definite negative.

I never understood why they'd say to tighten up the front arm spring. I actually go the other way and apply more ski pressure with Aggressive trackers because they turn easier than any ski and carbide product on the market.

With the trackers you can set the suspension for ride and not steering effort.

I never understood why they'd say to tighten up the front arm spring. I actually go the other way and apply more ski pressure with Aggressive trackers because they turn easier than any ski and carbide product on the market.

That's kind of what I want to know, is there an inherent danger to having too much carbide bite? will it make the sled bite too hard and tip the sled if going agressively into a corner?

Its easier to market them as solving issues around darting and steering effort. That doesn't mean its the best way to take advantage of them.

That's kind of what I want to know, is there an inherent danger to having too much carbide bite? will it make the sled bite too hard and tip the sled if going agressively into a corner?

Any aggressive carbide will lift the inside ski, so its possible yes.

I've run about every major carbide thats out there and have here found a care setup thats as good as the Aggressive Trackers. They steer easier, dont dart and go where pointed. That said they will push in certain snow conditions up near freezing in loose snow, and they like to collect certain size rocks and ice chunks once and while.

I've run them for years on many skis. The only skis I dont like them on are the Cat skis. They feel unstable to me on the cat skis and I believe they are mounted too far forward on them. I honestly feel they are dangerous on them. I run aggressive trackers on Ski-Doo 5.7 single keel race skis even on my Winder. I set the suspension for handling and ride with them and dont have to worry about ski pressure because they steer so easily. When I try to run any other setup the steering is just too hard even with BOP mechanical arms, I will kill my arms, but go back to trackers and it steered easily. So my answer to your question is no, it wont try to flip you off if they go on the right skis. I've used them for tens of thousands of miles and on many machines.

Don't be afraid to put more ski pressure down, you wont be disappointed in the least IMO.

Back