• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Should this foil tape work well for deflecting heat from my Mountain Addiction gas cans?

Matthew457

Expert
Country
Other
Snowmobile
Yamaha Nytro xtx
Should this heat deflection tape work good for the mountain addiction cans?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 95

nope....that is metal tape for ductwork will burn off right away. what you want is listed below from ROYAL DISTRIBUTING in Canada PN A02-289183 (Moose Racing Adhesive Heat Shield) pg 257 spring & summer catalogue.

nope....that is metal tape for ductwork will burn off right away. what you want is listed below from ROYAL DISTRIBUTING in Canada PN A02-289183 (Moose Racing Adhesive Heat Shield) pg 257 spring & summer catalogue.
Really!? Wow I'm pissed I bought it now, wtf

I think it'll be alright, this is after like 2 minutes of a lighter being on the metal, and the second picture is the black #*$&@ just being wiped off. I think it'll work pretty good. There no way its gonna get that hot back there.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    20.5 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 78
I'd try it . Also says 260*f
No way it'll be that hot .

I'd try it . Also says 260*f
No way it'll be that hot .
Yea, I feel pretty safe with nothing on it so this tape will just be there for the "just in case."

You'd be amazed how hot it can get on a long run down a trail.
But I doubt it will melt that can right though the plastic, expesially if there is gas in it, then that's impossible. I have no worries

But I doubt it will melt that can right though the plastic, expesially if there is gas in it, then that's impossible. I have no worries
So what happens when you use the gas? You should be ok your turnout is better then the muffler off my turbo

My buddy bag cough on fire back there when he had his stock Nytro. So yes it does get hot after a long ride on the lake. Sure does for a nice smoke show.

My buddy bag cough on fire back there when he had his stock Nytro. So yes it does get hot after a long ride on the lake. Sure does for a nice smoke show.
On an xtx with turnout?

I just used a piece of heat shield foam from what I believe is under a fuel tank of an older apex. It's in a parts fiche. Has worked for years along with a turnout on my mountain addiction tank.

Attachments

• 14492738240871636975305.jpg
    14492738240871636975305.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 94
You could simply get a thin piece of aluminum about 1/16 " thick maybe 10" long and just higher then your turn out. Bend a 1" 90 degree bend on the bottom and the cut into the bend 1" where you want to make the other bend into a L shape. Now use the 1" lip to rivet to the tunnel under the gas can. All the protection you will need. Here is a picture of what I did . You will get the idea even though you can't see the bottom 1" bend. The other piece of aluminum is to protect the belt bag under neath.
20151205_010829.jpg

Got the can taped up and hopefully she will work great!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 69
Got the can taped up and hopefully she will work great!
I bought the yamaha saddle bag gas cans because no one could give me a deffinite answer to if what you did works. SO, if you could please keep us updated on this and how it works, I would appreciate it. I hate the yamaha bags so much that I will buy this same set up your using if it works out.

Cheers

Back