• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Should Yamaha offer a bigger tank on SOME Nytros

Should Yamaha offer a VERSION of the Nytro with bigger gas tank

• Yes I would like a 10-12gal on some Nytros

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No I like it the way it is

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care 7 or 10gal I am buying the Nytro

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
FreezerBurnt said:
Here is something recent on Yamahas blog

http://snowmobiles.yamahablogs.ca/2007/ ... -fx-nytro/
read the bottom response
April22nd one
Seems Yamaha might be listening and maybe help from the aftermarket
A GYT bigger tank maybe
Since Yamaha sometimes uses the aftermarket to built GYT products

It certainly looks like they're going to consider it but......there's a MILLION things that could stop a partnership like that before it even gets off the ground. It certainly would be cool if they could offer a larger tank and maybe even take an un-used origional on trade. I'm not overly worried about the tank myself, worst case scenario, I'll strap 1-2 gallons to the belt guard or out back. I had an auxillary tank on my CR250 that attached to the shock tubes in front of the number plate. Maybe I can find some place to mount it on the sled. Hmmm.....

if it is the same company i am thinking about, the tank they did for the cats was atronomical in pricing. like close to 5 bills. i think tour buddy building one over the clutch cover would be more cost effective. but i would love to see a complete tank option for at least the mtx. ski

I emailed tourbuddy a few weels ago. This is the response I got from Chris - "no tank for the nitro yet. your not the first to show concern for the 7.4 gallon tank". Now I'm optimistic he only says this because they don't have one to work with. I think the demand will be there for them to invest their time & efforts.

I think that if every one that posted a concern on here emails tourbuddy they will see the demand and get more serious about making a product

BLUEBALLER said:
I emailed tourbuddy a few weels ago. This is the response I got from Chris - "no tank for the nitro yet. your not the first to show concern for the 7.4 gallon tank". Now I'm optimistic he only says this because they don't have one to work with. I think the demand will be there for them to invest their time & efforts.

I don't know why, but they seem to resist making tanks for Yamaha's.

I've spoken with Chris several times about making a single tank for the entire RX-1, Warrior, RS Vector, Rage, Venture, Apex, Attak, and mountain versions of these and although they have a design, they haven't actually gone into production with one yet. The nose area on these sleds will fit a good 3 gallons and the same tank could be used in all of these sleds.

BTW, looking at the 08 Yamaha brochure, the tank sizes are:

Apex: 35 liter
FX Nytro: 28 liter
RS Vector: 36 liter
RS Venture: 39 liter
Phazer: 27 liter

Considering that the Nytro will likely get at least 25% better fuel economy than the Apex (much lower rpms, lighter, closed loop EFI, etc.) and it only has a 25% smaller tank - it should have the same (poor IMO) fuel range as the Apex. Considering this, I'm surprised there is so much discussion about the small tank on the FX Nytro, when the Apex - which is more of a touring sled than the Nytro, has the same fuel range, a large market base and not as many people complaining about it (although there have been probably 1000's of posts over the past few years complaining about the lack of fuel range with the Apex there aren't any I'm aware of with this many pages).

If Tour Buddy were to develop one for the FX Nytro, where would they put it? I haven't looked super carefully, but I haven't noticed anywhere a decent sized tank could be mounted.

Well if we know where getting 17-20 mpg out of the 07 120 hp motors then we should be getting close to the same out of the 08 nitros
(after brake in). If you times 17 by 7.4 gallons you will get 125 miles out of the tank. That should be ok if you ride over here in central ontario where you can hit a gas station every 50-80 miles, if not three of them. For our fellow riders in the remote areas, you need to bring some extra fuel.
The back of the running boards are big enough to hold two 1 gallon gas cans, one on each side. Already checked it out. Hope this helps.

And if we had a 10gal tank the range would be another 40-60miles

No one is saying Yamaha to get rid of the 7.4 all together

BUT rather have a bigger tank on a VERSION of the FX Nytro

Maybe available for 2009 or a aftermartket GYT tank to retrofit the Nytro

If you are happy with 110-125range good ;)!

I am just glad Yamaha is looking into this as some would like the extra range and have a FX Nytro without carry gerry cans

Agreed, a bigger tank wolud be better and I just noticed where your riding up in Sudbury. So you know exacticaly where I'm talking about when I say THOR LAKE! It would be good to make it past that old guys place without having to fill up and getting reemed.

Like I said in my earlier post :

"My point of view on this is that for the Nytro MTX, 7.4 gallon is NOT enough when you are riding in powder! Bottom line!

For trail riding, I think it's enough but not for a day off trail!

Hopefully Yamaha will offer (for the MTX) a gas can similar to the one on the REV that can be fitted easily on the back of the tunnel!!!"

And for the 121" Nytro, maybe there is enough space on top of the belt guard for an extra 2 gallons!

kizerboy said:
The back of the running boards are big enough to hold two 1 gallon gas cans, one on each side. Already checked it out. Hope this helps.
The back of the running boards is valuable real estate when playing in the powder. Personally, i'd like to see something either in the nose or on top of the clutch cover. Tourbuddy are you reading this??

kizerboy said:
Agreed, a bigger tank wolud be better and I just noticed where your riding up in Sudbury. So you know exacticaly where I'm talking about when I say THOR LAKE! It would be good to make it past that old guys place without having to fill up and getting reemed.

Yes place like Thor lake and other north of here do charge the big $$$ for gas :drink: + some places gas is questionable

If it hasn't already been mentioned, the Yamaha Blog has a post where Chris said they could not make a larger tank that met the durability requirements. The regs specify a full gas tank to be chilled down to -40 F and dropped 4' onto a smooth concrete floor. The tank is then heated to 140 F and dropped again. The tank must also pass fume permability regs which is why all of the '08 tanks lost capacity because they needed to be made thicker.

Chris mentioned the aftermarket may be able to come up with a tank because they are not held to the same standards as OEM.

BLUEBALLER said:
kizerboy said:
The back of the running boards is valuable real estate when playing in the powder. Personally, i'd like to see something either in the nose or on top of the clutch cover. Tourbuddy are you reading this??

A fuel caddy in the very front of the nose of the sled creates a fire hazard in the event of a crash. I'd like to drive a Nytro, not an exploding Pinto.

Now on top of the clutch gaurd, that is a more likely location.

Just my .02

aka Turbocat on HCS

rockrider said:
If it hasn't already been mentioned, the Yamaha Blog has a post where Chris said they could not make a larger tank that met the durability requirements. The regs specify a full gas tank to be chilled down to -40 F and dropped 4' onto a smooth concrete floor. The tank is then heated to 140 F and dropped again. The tank must also pass fume permability regs which is why all of the '08 tanks lost capacity because they needed to be made thicker.

Chris mentioned the aftermarket may be able to come up with a tank because they are not held to the same standards as OEM.

I believe the blog interpretation is that Yamaha currently couldn't make a larger fuel tank for the Nytro in the amount of time available before the initial market launch and specification release. This also factors into the tooling time before release of production models.

For '08 Nytro's the aftermarket hopefully will pick up on the opportunity for larger tanks or fuel caddies.

There is very little doubt Yamaha will have a larger fuel tank and a 136" skid for '09 Nytro's.

aka Turbocat on HCS

SNOBLOWR said:
BLUEBALLER said:
kizerboy said:

A fuel caddy in the very front of the nose of the sled creates a fire hazard in the event of a crash. I'd like to drive a Nytro, not an exploding Pinto.

Now on top of the clutch gaurd, that is a more likely location.

Just my .02

aka Turbocat on HCS

front of the sled, rear of the sled( rev, mtn. sleds), clutch cover, any location could be a possible fire hazard. However due to the harsh testing yamaha (or aftermarket) does on their fuel tanks, we know they're unlikely to fail on impact crashes. chances of an aux. fuel tank exploding are probably very slim. ever shoot one? they don't go boom like everyone thinks they will.

Back