• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sick of all the hype

Off Topic sorry.
I agree with you kviper 100%
anyone thinking there is a better more reliable trail sled then the Apex has drank way too much kool-aid.

I am biased no doubt but show me a doo with 50k km plus and ready for more this season. Like my 08 is.

I ride only Quebec and find it just what the doctor ordered.

I will only say this. I went on a 2,000 mile trip in Quebec last year. Had 11 guys. I had the only yamaha. 2 doo's down with electrical problems. They had to rent sleds for the rest of the trip for 256.00 per day, and fix their sleds. And one polaris down with a speedo sensor problem. Again rental sled and repairs. We were in the middle of the bush (i.e. nowhere land). I'll take a little weight in exchange for reliability.

KnappAttack said:
Sasquatch said:
KnappAttack said:
40 LBS. is easy, just take off the power steering. Now take another 80+ Lbs. off to get down to where it should be, or to get even with a 1200 Doo.

Are you trying to say the power steering weighs 40pds? Really? That little power assist unit weighs 40pds?

1200 Doo is a nice sled but at 130hp stock its a no go for me. Besides why are we comparing a 1200 Doo to an Apex. A Nytro is more comparable.

Almost bought a Doo 1200 but instead I went with the Apex XTX. Na I'll stick with My 4 bangers even if they are heavier! The weight has never bothered me on the trail or even off trail for that matter. Course I do weigh a tad more then the average guy.

All the components for power steering add #37 lbs to the machine. Close enough to call it 40 IMO.

130 HP sled is a no go for me too. That's why I had to up the ante to over 150 HP so I could out run the Apex. I had an Apex XTX too, couldn't take the weight and I don't weigh more than the average guy, but I'm working on it. Loved the Yami 4 banger, but the chassis need an overhaul. Too many other four-strokes out there now with good chassis's under them.

I'm talking about a 1200 because its ACTUAL dry weight is 120 lbs less than the powersteering equipped Apex, and 80 lbs lighter than the old Apex. Thats huge! I know everyone says they can not feel the weight going from a full to empty fuel tank, but I can and always could. To each their own, I want a lighter more nimble machine now. I'd easily go for another Yamaha if they get it right and light.

I've few some buddies with 1200 doos that would love to know what you do to a 1200 to beat an apex or at least my last 2 an 06 and an 07
They can stay with or sometime beat for the first 600 or feet, after that the 1200 falls back fast. These guys are real in tight with Chris Bondi. I was of the understanding that Bondi had the combo of head work with the header he finds best to make a 1200 as fast as it can be.

slimjim2525 said:
I will only say this. I went on a 2,000 mile trip in Quebec last year. Had 11 guys. I had the only yamaha. 2 doo's down with electrical problems. They had to rent sleds for the rest of the trip for 256.00 per day, and fix their sleds. And one polaris down with a speedo sensor problem. Again rental sled and repairs. We were in the middle of the bush (i.e. nowhere land). I'll take a little weight in exchange for reliability.

What he said

I'd just let me add my .02. I sold my nytro last winter and decided to lay low for awhile. Just as well seeing as last winter was a none starter.
This year I bought an old Rx1 to play around with. I have played around in the ditch and bush around home for about 20 miles or so. Although not the fastest,greatest handling or latest bling, you will not find a ten year old competitors sled(or 5 year old sled for that matter) holding up like a Yamaha period.Not even close.
;)!
Having said that, Still waiting for an updated Nytro!

an RX1! try a 97 sx tripple! do the same thing ditch bang and field runs. 23000 km's and runs better every year and the harder you ride it the better it goes. I'm sure there are thousands of people with old Yamaha's going strong. I heard rumor that there's a guy with an RX-1 with 80000 km's on it somewhere in Quebec. Can't say that about any other brand none the less hear about it.

Back