• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Skid Differences

sab2022

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2023 Sidewinder S-TX GT
Can somebody tell a sled newbie the differences between getting a Sidewinder/SRViper Pro Skid Plate (P/N: SMA-8LR34-00-BK) and Trail Skid Plate (P/N: SMA-8LR34-RR-BK)? Both have a “fulfilment” to my 2020.

It appears the Trail Skid incorporate the Pro skid? Best for the life of the sled? Sled will used for established trails/some easy utility. I understand both TY skids are rigid plastics. I’ve read some of the recent skid plate forum discussions. I understand skid value because I own an ATV. Appreciate your comments. Thanks

I know this doesn't answer your question but I would highly recommend going with one of travis' aftermarket solutions found here

https://www.barnofparts.com/skid-plates

Generally his products will provide far more coverage with more strength than the OEM plates. The theory I have for skid plates is you don't need them until you really really need it, as such I have his full size plate on my sidewinder.

As SidewinderConvert said Barn of Parts stuff is generally heavier duty and people have been pleased with support and parts. I have used BOP many times and everything is well thought out and executed..

Thanks for the the replies, and I totally agree about BOP, however, I have this (available for about $180 USD) :

upload_2020-9-4_18-40-35.png

COMPARED to this at BOP ($90 USD)

upload_2020-9-4_18-36-58.png

There's a significant size difference... maybe I'm missing something.

Maybe the larger skid is really not protecting anything?

Maybe the larger skid is really not protecting anything?

Looking at the larger $180 skid that looks plastic to me. There is no denying that it reaches out to the sides of the sled more. However, (and this is just my opinion) the sides of the sled are protected by the front suspension from impact events meaning the highlighted plate is just a scuff guard outside the frame. Additionally, it is my belief that the plastic would flex or tear with any real impact event not doing anything at all. The option you highlighted also appears to give no extra coverage to the bottom of the oil pan.

All of the above combined with the fact that the BOP solution replaces the stock ~1/8" skid plates with a larger 3/16" plate I still believe that if protecting from impacts is the goal the BOP solution is better. If trying to protect from scuffing/minor scratches on the bottom of the sled the Yamaha solution is better.

Think of the OEM skid as more of a glide plate. It covers all the points that will catch and rip with a impact while moving forward. I can tell you the sides need protection. There is nothing but thin plastic to easily bend deforming that ledge at side of front tunnel. The guards over brake and chaincase also catch on stuff bending the aluminum they are attached to. I did damage to all mentioned points the second ride on my Viper when I went on about a 15 min off trail excursion. There was no damage to the stock skid at all.

I don't want to confuse but there's second OEM skid plate applicable to many sidewinders (below) - Pro Skid Plate (P/N: SMA-8LR34-00-BK). I think if the below plate was was recommended, I'd probably choose the Aluminum BOP skid plate instead. Both appear similar.

Some of Cannondale comments above were also echoed in some of the earlier forum discussions. In other words, some thought you want the skid plate to bend/move and even crack/brake rather then hit something and stop short.

upload_2020-9-4_22-19-39.png

It almost appears maybe a metal skid plate might be good in some places and plastic skid plate in other places (material mix)

I have the skid plate Pro Skid Plate (P/N: SMA-8LR34 rr bk on my sled and is a nice plate if looking for full coverage. Some have complained about fitment on initial install, but take your time and it will fit up nicely. (you won't have to enlarge any original holes in plate) I started at front with original holes and drilled and installed bolts as I went. It will get tight where footwell holes meet tunnel.

I went with the $180 one on my new GT. Neither one will save you from a GOOD stump punch. But it will spread the impact out a little.

Back