• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Skinz hand guards?

AXR

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Current: 2017 SideWinder L-TX LE

Past: 2015 Sr Viper R-TX SE, 2008 Apex RTX, 2002 Sx Viper, 1997 XTC 600, 1991 Doo Formula Plus.
I am thinking of getting a set of Skinz hand guards for my viper and was wondering if anyone has tried these before? Also wondering if they would fit on the viper? I wonder if they would be long enough to clear the break assembly? I am actually thinking about the Yamaha branded ones. I am guessing they are the same as the Skinz only with Yamaha branding? If they are smaller or something I could also go with the actual Skinz ones. I just thought the 'Yamaha' looked better then the Skinz name on them. The only thing I could find on the Skinz site is that they work on straight and hooked bars. I am guessing the Yamaha are the same as the Skinz only with Yamaha branding? If they are smaller or something I could also go with the actual Skinz ones. I should also point out I plan to use these mainly for wind protection riding trails. Not looking for brush protection.

https://www.yamahapartsandaccessori...ls/yamaha-wind-shear-hand-deflectors?b=Search
71f4FDJkgCL._SL1200_.jpg

qMj1mbmeYBp-9OjK6WBNq5IdbtJ7wHbtBEMHXnGxYLY1.jpg

41vhsObi0qL.jpg

I have a set of the Skinz pro series on my Viper. I really like them BUT if I were to buy them again I would get the Trail series. They are a little bigger and as you mentioned the stretch to clear the break assembly narrows the coverage top and bottom which can make it difficult to remove your hand and quickly replace it on the break (for instance if you are signaling oncoming riders that there is another in your group following and try to get your hand back on the break). The wind protection is fantastic and are easy to remove for the warmer days of riding.
I'm not sure if they are the same as Yamahas version or not.

I have them on mine but if you use the screw on the grip end instead of the velcro loop it does get tight on the brake side. You cannot use the emergency brake without removing it from the bar side.

1 Viper Dash view.jpg

1 Viper left view.jpg

Yamadog: Do you have the trail or the pro model Skinz? Also thanks for the pics.

From what pictures I have seen of the Yamaha ones I think they are the same as the trail Skinz. I will ask my dealer tomorrow and if they don't know I think I will still have them order the Yamaha black/blue ones and see if they fit. I will let everyone know what I find out. I figure at least with the Yamaha branding on them it will reduce the chance of someone stealing them off the sled. If they say Skinz you can use them on any brand. If they say Yamaha there is not much of a chance that someone with a another manufacture sled would want them. So if they are tempting to only 1 out of 4 brands it seems like a little stupid insurance if you will lol. Thanks everyone for the info.

Sorry I am not out during so i am drinking but I thought I bought the largest they had last yr but they are as tight as the ones as I have on an xtx nytro in my shop right now

I have the Yamaha ones on my Nytro and they work great. If you gota roll it over, hopefully never on a trail sled, they won't break off or bend. Plus any of these "soft" guards fit under the covers easy enough.

I have the Skinz pro ones, I like the concept but tight on the XTX brake side. I was thinking of upgrading to the trail ones. I didn't know yamaha had these, anyone know if the yamaha ones have more room on the brake side??

I have them on mine but if you use the screw on the grip end instead of the velcro loop it does get tight on the brake side. You cannot use the emergency brake without removing it from the bar side.

Just to clarify cause you cant see in the picture. Do you have the Yamaha branded ones?

I have a brand new pair of Skinz trail series heat loc hand guards for sale. $50 USD plus shipping cost. (Normal cost is $74 plus shipping)

I decided to just use my gauntlets.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 277

Back