• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SLIM JIMS OR SNOW STUDS DOUBLE DOWN ON CURVE SKIS

hognit09

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 viper ltx le,2016 viper ltx dx
I know i'm gonna get a lot of different opinions on this but checking anyways. I went from 7.5 shaper bars to bergstrom 6" and now in need again thanks to trails in hurley being so thin 2 weeks ago. Has anyone ran either or both of these ( SJ OR DOUBLE DOWNS) ? I hated the shapers on these skis but liked the bergstroms but still had a little hard steering at slow speeds, so thinking of trying dually. I know someone is gonna say snow trackers but not sure on those due to catching things and loading on trailers

Ran them both. The Slims will cut better in loose snow but wont last as long as the double downs. I have moved to double downs on all my sleds.

Snowtrackers aren’t as bad as people say they are, I’ve been using them forever and never had a problem. If you have ski guides in your trailer you will be fine, you won’t get caught up on a bridge and get thrown off your sled at 80mph and so on.. good thing about them is they will handle better than any other carbide out there and will outlast any carbide out there.

I wasn’t a believer either until i tried them years ago and probably will never use any other carbide ever. You can ride with one hand on the bar at any speed and the sled tracks 100% straight if properly set up..

Ended up ordering the SJ. We’ll see how they work
I loved how the slimjims handled and wear was good....I absolutely hated that rocks would get stuck in them and render them useless. Stopping to tip sled on its side and use a screwdriver to pry out rocks got old real fast...I ended up going with Triple points, once set up they're fantastic.

I loved how the slimjims handled and wear was good....I absolutely hated that rocks would get stuck in them and render them useless. Stopping to tip sled on its side and use a screwdriver to pry out rocks got old real fast...I ended up going with Triple points, once set up they're fantastic.
Maybe cause they’re designed for snow. LOL!!

Don't overlook Studboy Deuce bars...similar to a dual bar setup and very durable.
deuce.jpg

I have the triple points shimmed and while they were awesome they still have some hard steering and I have my stingray mods spring cranked way up. I was hoping to lighten up the steering some

Ran them both. The Slims will cut better in loose snow but wont last as long as the double downs. I have moved to double downs on all my sleds.
Tom which double downs are u running? I love the slim Jim’s but Wear is nuts especially in these low snow conditions. The regular double downs or the new ones with the added square stock to make the carbide ride deeper more like the slimjim. They call them sniper double downs.

Tom which double downs are u running? I love the slim Jim’s but Wear is nuts especially in these low snow conditions. The regular double downs or the new ones with the added square stock to make the carbide ride deeper more like the slimjim. They call them sniper double downs.

I run the new square ones.

The square bar SnowStuds c@a/curve sniper double downs are part number SD8904 (4 inch), SD8906 (6 inch), SD8908 (8 inch)

Do you know the part number off hand? I cant seem to find the part number for the c&a/curve pattern. Running slim jims currently but seem to wear very quick.

Back