• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sloppy Steering Column

biffdotorg

VIP Member
Website
www.biff.org
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Apex XTX and Viper LTX SE
WEBSITE
www.biff.org
Ok, I have read piles of posts on sloppy steering, and was planning on ordering the steering post bushing above the EPS motor. I have the sled tore down right now to replace one bad manifold clamp, so it's the perfect time to do it with no snow on the ground.

But for the life of me, how does one get those nuts off with those keepers around the nuts? And no bolt head on the backside?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0132.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0132.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 49
  • thumbnail_IMG_0133.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0133.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 40

Well that would be just way too simple. (smile) I stared at that forever, then looked at the parts diagram, and was dumbfounded.

My steering column moves forward and backward just a bit. And thought those should be replaced. Then saw there are two sets. One set above the EPS motor and one set further down the steering linkage. That lower set may be a pain to get to. And I am not sure if doing the top will help much.

There is a chance that those nuts may have just backed off a bit too. So I will give that a shot first.

Thanks for the tip!

The billet aluminum blocks with oilite inserts Ulmer sells are a great upgrade if you don’t mind spending the money. I used these last fall when I built my ‘16 Apex and was amazed how much it tightened things up. They’re self lubricating so the rest of the sled will likely wear out before you have to touch these again.

It's nice to know those are out there, but ouch. I just ordered the four big ones and four small bushings for the linkage down the line. All plastic, but I should be able to get to them with it ripped apart right now.

I guess I have a week to wait on parts, so I may as well start my tunnel polishing.

The lower set wasn't too bad to get to but you will need to loosen the EPS unit to replace the bushings. Considering the success I had with running the Oilite steering bushings on my other Apex and RX-1, I replaced the ones on my 18 with the them; yes, it's about to turn over 10k mi. I've found the plastic collar on the shaft that runs along the side to show little wear but still opt to replace with OEM. Definitely tigthened things up. ;)!

i did both set of those on the 11 xtx last year. i pulled the fuel tank to make myself room up by the bars as i was checking the exup anyways. i did pull the bars off of the eps unit and found it was loose in splines there as well. the lower set by the oil tank is di with rally no issues. the play was all in the upper one and the new oe bushing took care of it all. ended up tighter than my 16 is. 22000 mi and counting.

Thanks everyone, this gives me hope. It has been loose up top since my buddy rolled it in a ditch. My guess is those plastic bushings may even be broke.

A buddy bought a 2011 XTX last year with low miles. I should have neve drove it, as it reminded me of what mine used to feel like. I knew it has to be done.

It's amazing how much darting comes from sloppy steering. We only notice it on well setup snow in a straight line obviously, but that feels sketchy when we encounter it.

Another thing that can help the plastic bushings last is to put some grease in the middle on each half and use an o-ring top/bottom to hold the grease in. You will notice there are grooves cut in ID of the plastic pieces. I bought a package of X-rings that I cut to slip around the steering shaft when installing them and they get sandwiched between the 2 halves in the grooves. I think I had to buy a 50-pack of the X-rings. If anyone wants any, pay the postage and I'll send some. PM if you would like 2-4 of them.

I've only ever done the one up by the handlebars with the X-rings. I haven't tried to do the lower one yet (haven't had the need to). Not sure if there is enough room to work there too get it done.

Got my upper and lower set of clamp bushings swapped, and the lower bushings below the battery swapped as well.

It seems to have tightened it up quite a bit. The solid steering column was worth it by itself. I'm thinking the remainder of slop is in the tie rod ends. Next may have to be the A-arm bushings, as they have a fair amount of slop as well.

Fairly easy job.

Back