• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Slydog Powder Hounds or SLP Mohawks

mckay_06

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha Viper XTX
Morning guys. Looking at upgrading the skis on my Viper XTX and these are the choices I have narrowed it down to. Looking at either the 7" Powder Hounds or the Mohawks. Can I get some feedback on those that have them or tried them and what you thought of each. My riding would be semi aggressive with 65% trail 45% off. Looking for something that provides a little better floatation but still trails well.

Thanks in advance.

I run 7" Powderhounds on my Vector and they work really well! The extra flotation is unreal almost makes me want to take the 2 ton tank for a ride in the powder. LOL !
I have heard nothing but good things about the Mowhawks but they are expensive. I was looking at both but found much better deals on the Powderhounds and they are nicer looking ski's also they offer many color combinations to dress your sled up! I'm running 6" shaper bars with a 5/16" shim on the back of the ski rubber and Bergstrom ski savers and no darting and positive handling!

Don't quote me but I think Travis at barn if parts either posted here or the general Yamaha forum a special on the mohawks

Yeah kinda leaning the Slydog way because of the color setup and about $150 cheaper from what I can find around here.

I had the slydog powder hounds on my fx nytro. They are a good ski and float good, plus the colour options are a plus too. I had them in camo.

We've been running slydogs for years I think they're one of the best kept secrets. Excellent flotation ski for off-trail play they work great on trail also with their extra tall reverse keel expecially on the 8 inch wide. 7 is a great ski to.

Just go with the 8 inch you won't regret it. Even if you occasionally do ride some trails the extra width on the ski won't affect any handling because most of you steering and weigh on the ski will be on the skis keel. That extra just inch is going to help you in the deeper powder though. My 8 inch skis are easy to turn on the trail or in the powder. The 8 inch skis also have a channel that helps in powder that the 7 inch do not have

Attachments

• 20150930_154241.jpg
    20150930_154241.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 233
Either you will be fine. Most go with 8" because they are a little thicker for added strength not as thick as the hell hounds.

Subaru2006

Any particular reason you don't consider the Curves?

Birkebeiner

Been running the 8" SlyDogs for the past 4 years on my Turbo Cat, same thing as a XTX 141, on DEEP snow days. The flotation is AMAZING, trail handling is right there with everything else. NOBODY can match the color combos, make your head spin.

Yeah kinda leaning the Slydog way because of the color setup and about $150 cheaper from what I can find around here.
Nooooooo! don't do it. I was all about the 7" pow hounds when I had them on my M7 but on the Viper with the added weight in front and the heavy back shifting "engine breaking" I ate the handlebars a couple of times last season (I'm talking about up over the bars face plant in the snow as well). When you are in soft snow im talking about a couple of feet or better and let off the throttle, the additional nose pressure causes those skis to go tips up in a hurry digging the heels into the snow acting like a snow plow causing you to stop at a rate that makes you about bite the handlebars every time. The ski also has a very flat profile on the bottom when trying to tip the sled over to do a down hill turn the sled just wants to sit flat especially on more set up snow. I really was not impressed by the overall build quality of the skis as well, they were flimsy and one ski was thicker and thinner in places compared to the other. At the end of the season I ended up switching back to the stock skis and found they had a better overall ride quality over the hounds. This year I have bought the Mohawks and I can already see they are built better. More expensive yes but I think they will be worth it. A better profile for all around riding and with the metal saddles you wont have to worry about the ski bolt breaking out of the plastic eyelet like I hade happen on the pow hounds.

Just my experience

Back