• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Smelling coolant burning (not exhaust)

So I'm going to start the process this week of figuring out this thing but I'm kinda stuck and dreading it. Since its an oil cooler, does aoil run through the lines or those two openings on the back side of the cooler. I think either that o-ring failed or the cooler itself failed.

My plan was to drain the oil, pinch the lines, and remove the cooler and inspect the o-ring. I don't want coolant running into my motor.

I stole this image from ebay.

1681603714177.png

So I'm going to start the process this week of figuring out this thing but I'm kinda stuck and dreading it. Since its an oil cooler, does aoil run through the lines or those two openings on the back side of the cooler. I think either that o-ring failed or the cooler itself failed.

My plan was to drain the oil, pinch the lines, and remove the cooler and inspect the o-ring. I don't want coolant running into my motor.

I stole this image from ebay.

View attachment 172467
Coolant through hoses. Oil through openings. Just pressure (or vacuum) check hoses. Should be no leakage.

Just had same part fail, replaced under warranty. Only symptom was empty overflow bottle every few rides. Must have been leaking under pressure only. Never saw coolant on floor. Dealer said o ring failed but Yamaha just warranty whole part.

My SW recently started leaking coolant on the garage floor. I tore it down and found the clamps on either side of the oil cooler were loose, especially the turbo side. I won’t know until tomorrow if this fixed the leak.

It's very common and virtually guaranteed there are or will be loose clamps on these sleds. It's important to go over them at least once per year, including all the ones that are a PIA to get to or even see. Examples are little hose connecting right side heat exchanger to front exchanger, oil cooler lines, turbo coolant hoses, all those that attach to thermostat housing, coolant line that connects to the outlet housing for the head, etc. It's not fun to get at them all but very necessary. Every 998 that hadn't been gone over already has loose clamps.

That oil cooler was a pain to get at. I pressure tested it for about 15mins and found no leaks.

What should we torque the clamps to? I stripped my lower oil line and am getting a new one.

I was checking my hose clamps yesterday and luckily noticed a split in the hose that runs from the thermostat housing to the exhaust side reservoir. It has not been leaking yet but would have only been a matter of time before it let go and sprayed antifreeze all over the engine.
Something else to keep an eye on.

hose 1.JPG
hose 2.PNG

Those vacuum fillers for cooling systems are like a magic trick. One second we are watching the gauge for leaks in the coolant lines, hit the lever to fill and literally a few seconds later the system was full.

Back