• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

So if I buy an Apex.......

F7 Racer

Extreme
I am leaning toward switching from Cat after 17 years to an Apex. I am 43 and ride hard(raced cross country for 7 years for Cat) but on groomed trails and a river. I have always loved Cat for their handling and great motors. But the thought of a 4 stroke has me looking at the Apex, mostly because of the incredibly reliable motor.

So, if I get an Apex will I need after market ski's to make it handle like my Cats all did ? I run 8-10 inch carbides and 192 studs.

Am I right in assuming I will want the 13mm sway bar for my riding style ?

Will I need to reinforce the skid if I buy an 08 ?

Will I need to clutch it for aggressive trail riding and better backshift or is the stock clutching acceptable ?

I have read about so many people saying the shocks are valved poorly, will I have to re-valve them to be happy coming off a Cat.

Any other thoughts you guys have on the Apex ? ?

Thanks !!

My riding buddy rides Cats, We swap sleds here and there. After riding my RX I really dont want to ride the Cat at all, He has a F7, I am just as fast as he is, I did do skiis, and messed with my skid alot to get it setup right, But everything seems smoother, Ride the Apex for a day then get back on a Cat, You'll be looking to buy a Apex.

Here are my thoughts not yelling just using caps because I was lazy and want to awnser your questions so I pasted them in.

So, if I get an Apex will I need after market ski's to make it handle like my Cats all did ? I run 8-10 inch carbides and 192 studs. PROBABLY ALTHOUGH SNOWTRACKERS OR DUAL BARS WOULD MAKE IT ACCEPTABLE, THE STOCK SKIS ARENT LOVED BY MANY BUT CAN BE MADE TO WORK IF YOUR ON A BUDGET

Am I right in assuming I will want the 13mm sway bar for my riding style ? YES

Will I need to reinforce the skid if I buy an 08 ? YOUR LOOKING AT A RTX OR A ONE WITH A MONO? EITHER ONE WILL TAKE SOME UPGRADES MYSELF I WOULD LEAN TOWARD A MONO BEEFED UP AND USING A MEGAFLOAT IF I HAD TO MAKE A OEM SUSPENSION WORK

Will I need to clutch it for aggressive trail riding and better backshift or is the stock clutching acceptable ? STOCK IS VERY WELL DONE IMPROVMENTS CAN BE MADE BUT I WOULDN'T PUT IT ON THE TOP OF THE LIST

I have read about so many people saying the shocks are valved poorly, will I have to re-valve them to be happy coming off a Cat. YES FOR SURE YOU WILL NEED SOME MONEY INTO THE SKID OR KEEP THE CAT SKID AND TRANSPLANT IT INTO THE APEX LOL (IT HAS BEEN DONE ON HERE) CATS RIDE NICE, MOTORS IN THE APEXS MAKE YOU SMILE AND PUT UP WITH A WORSE RIDE I THINK. PLAN ON A REVALVE ESPECIALLY WITH A MONO. ALSO THE STD APEX AND GT HAVE A SOFTER SEAT THEN THE RTX, IF YOU START WITH THE SOFT ONE YOU MAY WANT TO SWAP SOMEONE FOR THE HARDER ONE, I LOVE THE FIRMER ONE, THE SOFT ONE I WOULD SINK IN TO MUCH AND COULDN'T STAND AS EASY.

Any other thoughts you guys have on the Apex ? ? GREAT SLED, IF YOUR LIKE MOST OF US YOU FALL IN LOVE WITH THE MOTOR AND THEN PUT UP WITH THE CHASSIS, ITS NO WHERE NEAR A CAT OR DOO. BE PREPARED FOR MAINT ON EVERYTHING BUT THE ENGINE AFTER 5K (EXHAUST DONUTS, BUSHINGS, BEARINGS, CHAIN, DRIVESHAFT, ETC.

Hope that helps.
:Rockon:

If you can try the 2011 apex with the power steering on it you will love it. i rode the new cats the same day as the new apex, they both had the power but the apex is much smoother and you could ride it with 2 fingers on the bar.

I have the 06 APEX RTX model. It now has 12000kms (7000 miles). It has the mono remote adjusable suspension which I find pretty good. I ride fairly agressively and don't have alot of bottoming issues but I'm not a heavy guy either. The minimum for the ski's is a set of Dooly's runner's , I run 6 inch carbide and this makes a night and day difference in handling although aftermarket ski's are better again. The exhaust , for me has been a pain, just replaced the gaskets agin (3rd set incl originals ) but once they go the aftermarket has a better type gasket. The engine is bullit proof and the torque is awesome and will have you smiling all day :-o . I have a heel clicker 2 speed clutch kit and it improved the corner to corner acceleration alot but I lost some off the top end but I'm good with that. I put a 136 kit in it last year with a 1 1/4 Cobra track with 196 studs and I'll never own a short track again, what a difference. The big thing I find with the APEX is set up, the suspension is very fussy but if you're will to spend some time testing and playing with it you can really make them handle. MY set up requires alot of driver input but I don't mind shifting around in the seat and moving my weight around to make it do what I want . Go try one for a couple days and it will be hard to go back. :yam:
I've had a few issues but overall have been very happy with the sled. Most issues were fixed by the 2008 year also.
That's my 25 cents ;)!

Came off a long long line of Poo performance sleds. Decided to try the 4s thing too. One ride on the Apex and I was hooked on the engine. The rest of the sled not so much. That's going to need doing your way. Agree with Kinger. If I were going with an OEM skid it would be the Mono, with plans to beef up the front arm and do something about the shock and spring calibration. Agree with him too on the clutch calibration, and would add the carb/injector systems are pretty close as well. Go for it, just do it with your eyes open regarding what it's going to take! You'll LOVE it when you're done!

The skids on the 08 Mono are already beefed up. But there is a guy in Keil Wi that can go through the skid and do whatever you want to it and fresh powder coating.

I have run dually's, pilot ski's, and now snow trackers. Of the 3 I would say the trackers work the best for aggressive trail riding.

I used to put the 13mm sway var on all my sleds but don't have it on my current 08 Apex LTX GT. I was able to get it to corner very flat without it. This is something you can always add later if you can't get it to corner as flat as you want to. Some guys on here say it makes inside ski lift worse???

Clutching can be improved but, stock is pretty darn close.

If you are buying a used sled depending on the year there are things to watch for and it varies from year to year. It took Yamaha 4 years to fix most of the minor issues. If 08 or older your will need a rear heat exchanger.

Unless you are a very large person, the Mono skid W Arm cracking/ breaking issue isn't the terrible issue its made out to be.

The key is a good revalve and enough shock spring to support your weight.

Riding with too little of spring will cause your skid to bottom, which stresses your suspension arms. Most Apex Mono skid suspension arm breaks are caused by those kinds of stresses.

I weight 190, prob 225 geared up. My sled came with a (Attak GT) 6.0 kg spring. It fits my weight. The standard Apex came with a 4.7 kg spring, which can't support the weight of even a standard person. Make sure that your sled has a large enough spring on it for your riding style. A revalve will help too.

Super Sled said:
Unless you are a very large person, the Mono skid W Arm cracking/ breaking issue isn't the terrible issue its made out to be.

The key is a good revalve and enough shock spring to support your weight.

Riding with too little of spring will cause your skid to bottom, which stresses your suspension arms. Most Apex Mono skid suspension arm breaks are caused by those kinds of stresses.

I weight 190, prob 225 geared up. My sled came with a (Attak GT) 6.0 kg spring. It fits my weight. The standard Apex came with a 4.7 kg spring, which can't support the weight of even a standard person. Make sure that your sled has a large enough spring on it for your riding style. A revalve will help too.

6'3 240 lbs.........So now different springs too ?

Ya, I'd get a 6.5 kg spring (smaller "Big Boy") or the 7.1 kg spring (The "Big Boy" spring) for your weight if you are an aggressive rider.. But remember the only thing worse then too small of a spring is too much of a spring.

But I considered moving up to a 6.5kg spring myself and i weigh much less than you, but elected not to. I'm glad I stuck with the 6.0kg for myself. There are weight charts out there. And the rougher you ride, the more you can move up in spring.

No matter what you do to the Apex it isn't going to handle like a cross country AC sled. It is simply too heavy. But then it was never intended for that purpose. I will side with the others - You will fall in love with the motor and learn to live with the rest. I also got off an AC for an Apex. I hated the Apex for the first 100 miles. It will never turn as well as a sled weighing 150 lbs less. It acts completely different than any AC ever built. However - after a short time the motor will suck you in. Just the sound of it will give you a woody. Extremely wide powerband, very good stock clutching and rock solid dependable. I am on my 4th Apex now and would not consider another brand at this time. Yes, the little issues are a pain but no brand is perfect. Just my 2 cents.

The 08 arm is already stronger than the 06s and 07s..

Yes you will want a 13mm bar

Yes ditch the skis.. They are junk.. Get something wide like 6.9 pilot skis..

Yes you will need to revlave and respring the rear..

Prob gonna want a taller riser too..

Back