• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Some deep snow reviews from my newly setup 144"

TurboMatt

Pro
I just wanted to give everyone a review on this. To start off: I have an '08 FX Nytro that I extended to 144". Basically the same as a XTX. Just a year ahead of it's time. I extended it to 144" last year already before it had any miles on it. At that time I thought a 1.25" ripsaw would be enough. So I had that on there with the stock pizza cutter skis.
I ride in the western UP and the snow does get deep, not rocky mountain deep, but 4"-5" w/ base deep. Last year riding with the ripsaw and stock skis, I was greatly dissappointed. To the point I was ready to sell. I had a '04 Polaris edge chassis w/ 136" ripsaw and it was better than the Nytro at that point in the deep stuff.
But I stuck it out. I bought Simmons gen 2 skis(the wide ones) and a backcountry track(1.75" lug) over the summer to install.
This past weekend was the 1st weekend out with the new setup. And low and behold we found some deep snow in the western UP already. I'd say 36" in most places we rode. No base, all loose snow.
The sled performed awsome! I Rode w/ a M8 153", 600 crossfire 136" w/ 2" challenger track and a 1000 crossfire with 144" 2" challenger track. I kept up and in some cases out performed both crossfires. The M8 still had the obvious advantage.
The track hooked awsome. It still trenched at startoff, but it had the traction to pull out. The front end floated great with the gen 2's. I am extremely happy with the new setup and have some confidence heading out west to Wyoming on the 26th of this month. Also, the track hooks get on the trail as well. We rode in awsome conditions, but I didn't notice any abnormal hyfax wear upon inspection. The Gen 2s handle just fine on the trail. I did notice more push on the trail with the new backcountry vs. the ripsaw last year, but I can live with that.
All in all I reccommend this combination to anyone who will be doing over 50% of their riding off-trail.

I hope this helps someone.

What kind of suspension settings have you tried with it. I have basicly same setup and looking for a good starting point.

towerrigger said:
What kind of suspension settings have you tried with it. I have basicly same setup and looking for a good starting point.

I have the front limited strap completely removed & the rear blocks removed. I have found for deep snow on these sleds you want as much weight transfer to the rear as possible. I have the rear springs on the hardest setting. I think the shocks are both set towards the middle of their adjustment range.

That will probobly kill the front shock after a while. You should at least have it set so that the shock is almost all the way out before the strap kicks in.

I've been to the mountains and also ride deep snow in Sask with mine and believe me you don't remove it, actually the opposite , suck it all the way up so that the track wants to climb out rather then plow . For Saskatchewan trail and most conditions leave the front strap alone. Actually for most conditons with the Ulmer rails and stock suspension the stock setup works great.

I will have to give that a try. A couple of my mountian sled buddies said I should try removing it so that's why I gave that a try.
I am by no means saying my setup in the fix-all, so I apreciate the feedback.

I'm just trying to share my experiences.

Back