• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

spare ignition key

mooseflyer

Expert
So I went to the local hardware store the other day to have a duplicate key made for my garage door. I grabbed the ignition key to my Venture before leaving the house so I could have a spare made of that key also, since I only have one. For a little over a buck, I got another key to my garage door. The rep at the hardware store said he couldn't make another snowmobile key, since he didn't have a blank to match and suggested I contact the dealership. I phoned the local Yami dealership, and was quoted a price of 25 bucks??? Are they made of gold or something???

That's weird. I got a spare key made for my phazer at my local hardware store, no problems. The head of the key isn't the same but that is no big deal. And sorry to break it to ya but the factory Yami keys aren't made of gold. It's actually platinum ha ha.

Nothing special about the key, other than the blanks are only available through a yamaha dealer. I have ordered a few and all I needed was the 4-digit number off the original key. They came pre-cut. The price was more like $7 or $8. At $25 they are screwing with you.

Unfortunately, its a common way to screw the customer. A new key for my wife's old used Mercedes was $250. Geez!

Maybe try a locksmith as they have access to more key blanks and can probably match it up to a non-Yamaha type key. It won't look like a Yamaha key but it will fit the barrel.

Thanks gents. Ya, I don't really care if it doesn't look like the original, just something to have as a spare. Maybe I'll ask a different hardware store before I try anything else. Good idea about the locksmith too.

I'm just glad I don't drive a Mercedes! ;)!

I had an 06 Vector. Bought a friends 06 Attak. He only 1 key with it. Turns out, my Vector and the Attak used the same key! Same 4-digit #. What are the odds??!!!

Budweiser said:
I had an 06 Vector. Bought a friends 06 Attak. He only 1 key with it. Turns out, my Vector and the Attak used the same key! Same 4-digit #. What are the odds??!!!

You used up all your luck on that one. So sorry. You actually were due to
Match any numbers you wanted I guess. Now if would have only played the lottery just before you went to pick up that vector....

if you post a picture of your key I will give you the yamaha # to order a blank I need a picture of the very end the blanks are cheep if it is the same as an 08 apex here is the blank part# for you 5YR-H2511-C0-00 MSRP $2.45 dealer cost $1.24 post a picture so I can if this is the Blank you need

Back