• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

"spare" juice available from stator?

mooseflyer

Expert
Hi all,
I'd like to get some heated clothing layers for the wife as a Christmas gift this year (probably from Warm & Safe). She rides 2up on the back of my 2013 RS Venture TF. The clothing would be wired direct to the battery, but I don't want to over-do it and end up with a dead battery or fried stator. If if end up buying everything I'm considering (top, bottoms, and socks), the load would be about 11.9 amps or 164 watts at 13.8 volts if she cranks it full hot (though she probably wouldn't keep it at that setting for long). The only other thing I regularly plug in is my phone. No heated shield. Stock headlights. Of course I use the heated grips/throttle warmers though. Thoughts? Thanks!

When I burnt one leg of my Windings on my Viper it barely maintained 13.0v with the other 2 legs and would drop below 12.6v with hand warmers on. Tells me that ~150-175w is the MAX (one legs worth) extra all the 1049 Stator can handle. It's OK to max the stator out though as the regulators just dump excess amperage back into the windings where it turns to heat anyhow so it's always "burning" at 550-600w anyhow.

Thanks gents. A headlight swap sounds like a good idea (regardless), and would save 30 amps. Not a lot, but every little bit helps.
The clothing company sells a different mid layer that draws 5.5 amps and 75 watts (vs 7 and 96 in the coat I originally looked at), which would bring my total down to 10.4 amps and 143 watts - a little more comfortable margin perhaps.
Keep your thoughts coming please!

go through rocks power supply witch connects to the acessory lighter socket. how long of a day do you ride with her on? could get away with battery powered heated gloves as they last 6 hrs on low. got gf a set last year. thinking about a vest for her this year. i do know that there is a company that makes insoles for boots that run on a battery as well. usually can get spares for them for when they die.

Mooseflyer I can’t help you out on the amp/watt draw part but I can tell you your wife will be a lot warm with the heated mid layer than the actual outer heated jacket and bibs.

The trick to heated clothing is that it needs to be as close to the skin as possible, have her wear a thin base layer under the heated mid layer, this will be much warmer for her then buying the heated jacket/bids..

Thanks again guys. A battery powered top and socks is what initially took me down this rabbit hole. However after doing some research it just doesn't seem like the batteries will last all that long (certainly not a full day, or even half day in most cases), so I started looking at various motorcycle forums regarding the plug-in stuff. I guess I could re-consider the battery stuff, and just get a few extra batteries to carry along. But that seems like a bit of a PITA.

I should probably call the clothing manufacturer to find out how the heat controller works - may give some insight to actual draw at various heat levels.

Fabio, the layer I'm considering IS essentially a mid-layer (called a "heated liner"), not an outer layer. But your response got me thinking - so I looked at their heated BASE layer. It draws considerably less current than the mid layer, so that may be an option. The downside I can see already though - the wife may feel the need to wash it daily (or more likely, she'd want multiple sets = $$$).

Back