• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Spark plugs

Hey guys, does anyone know when a guy should replace the plugs in the 09 xtx ? Do they last forever, or does the sled start running bad ? I have about 1800 on my plugs, jut wondering if i should replace them before the upcoming season ......

No worries

You can get several thousand miles out of the plugs. I had the original plugs in my Apex at 5000 miles. They are just like cars plugs. As long as you do not flood the engine you are good to go!!

I change my plugs yearly just has seasonal maintenance. I notice easier starts, better fuel mileage, and smoother idle.
They are just like cars plugs
So are the plugs in your lawn mower, dirtbike, weed trimmer, 2-stroke snowmobile, and just about every other gasoline burning engine.
The difference is your car is not driving around at 6000-8000 rpms all the time so the plugs are only getting "used" 1/3 as much as the plugs in your sled. Plus the sled has higher compression and hotter engine temps which all lead to shorter spark plug life.

For short money, you might as well replace them. I keep the replaced plugs as spares for that year.

Dad's Vector has 10,000 Km on it's plugs....I should probably crack them loose just to make sure they're not seized in there. ;)!

Dual electrode plugs......

What about dual electrode plugs by NGK? Has anyone had any experience with these? The claim is an increase of 2-3 horses with these plugs. Are they worth the money or should I stick with stock plugs?

Stock plugs, I found that the "V" style plug electrodes were actually "blowing out" in my high compression turbo-charged race car. This is not Apple-to-Apples comparison but the standard NGK's were good enough for 11 sec quarter miles and 560 all wheel HP so they are good enough for my 140hp sled.

NGK Iridium's are nice but I would hate to pay that much for a plug and then foul it with a cold start or bad gas. I would rather get the cheap standard plugs and replace them every year.

roland561, please take the time to update your location in your profile.

Thanks!

Our engine guy for the stock car has never suggested running any special tip plug in it so I'll take that as a sign of 'don't bother'.

fxnytrortx3 said:
I also change my spark plugs yearly as well on my nytro. they are a big pain in the #*$&@ to change if you don't take off the tank.

Chaning the plugs are obviously more difficult than a 2 stroker but its really pretty easy. put socket on extension and put it on the plug. then put the ratchet onto the extension after its in. Can do all three in like 5 minutes.

Took my sled in for a seasonal service to Port Yamaha with similar mileage and they put plugs in. Don't know what that means but it was done. Sled ran great before?

4strknytro said:
Sled ran great before?
So by "ran great" you mean you put the engine on a dyno to confirm full power output, calculated fuel mileage in controlled conditions, tested emissions output, and measured exhaust temps to track combustion temps? You say the sled ran great but how can you tell it did? Seat of the pants measurements are worthless, no one can tell exactly how well an engine is running without proper test. I guarantee that the new plugs made a difference and the engine was not running at full potential before the plug change. It's easy to tell when a plug is bad, but you can't easily tell when it is just good enough to work and not operating at 100%.

^^ kind of like a new pair of shoes... you really didn't know how crappy your old ones were till you got some new ones!!! ;)

2008FxNytro said:
fxnytrortx3 said:
I also change my spark plugs yearly as well on my nytro. they are a big pain in the #*$&@ to change if you don't take off the tank.

Chaning the plugs are obviously more difficult than a 2 stroker but its really pretty easy. put socket on extension and put it on the plug. then put the ratchet onto the extension after its in. Can do all three in like 5 minutes.

Use the socket that comes with your tool kit. It works great and makes changing the plugs very very easy.

Back