• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper 2016 flash poll and Thread

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

• start instantly

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Now it take 2 attemps to start

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • start better than before

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • no difference

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • My speedometer is now unaccurate

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Has your sled stalled since latest flash

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Has Your sled had a extremely loud backfire since flash

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
I'm still on the fence as to whether I want to do the update flash or not. If so, will I need to disconnect my PCV prior to doing the flash or would it be okay to leave it connected?

Gent's, I have kept mostly quiet up until now, but this may be the final straw for me.

I had the dreaded starter destroying kick back the first season with my '15 Viper. I do not think the real cause of this was even known back then.

I do know that I lost the use of my sled for over a month (half of a normal MN season) while they pulled my motor and waited for parts. Because I was amongst the first to have this happen there was no re-flash available at that time.

Over the next year I made three separate trips to the dealer to try to fix a leaking chain case. This finally resulted in a complete chain case assembly including the drive shaft, gears, chain, bearings, seals, ........you name it. They threw everything except for the kitchen sink at it and it does now seem to not leak chain case oil (although the sled has now developed a coolant leak which is yet to be diagnosed)

When my sled was at the dealer for the third attempt at fixing the chain case leak, he did me the "favor" of re-flashing my ECU without asking me first. He did inform me when I picked up the sled, however he could not tell me why he did it or what exactly it was supposed to fix.

Well, it has made my sled very difficult to start both hot & cold, caused backfiring which is embarrassing in front of my Doo & Poo friends as they watch me struggle to start my sled.

I also now have a speedometer that is ridiculously slow. At least my odometer is not racking up miles as fast anymore.

Seriously? Why should we put up with this crap! Who are these idiots writing the ECU code in these flashes? It has to be the Cat guys, right? Nobody in Japan could be this stupid!

I have owned 15 new Yamaha sleds in my life plus this POS hybrid Yamacat! This will probably be the last hybrid sled for me unless they can prove to me that they can build a sled of Japanese quality in MN!

In the meantime I am very happy to have purchased the 4 year YES which I fully expect to take full advantage of.

Last edited:
Remember it's cat electronics, that's the problem. But they are giving Yamaha a bad name imo. If it was Yamaha electronics this crap wouldn't be happening. Sorry to hear about your experience.

Remember it's cat electronics, that's the problem. But they are giving Yamaha a bad name imo. If it was Yamaha electronics this crap wouldn't be happening. Sorry to hear about your experience.

Yes, Arctic Cat owns it. My Nytro ran flawless, started perfect, idled perfect, had more power. From what I was told by my dealer is they're (CAT) is trying to get it back to the Nytros tuning. But, at the end of the day Yamaha should be doing something about this. I have already started looking into other brands of sleds with the end of the season deals coming out. I have only owned Yamaha for 20 years but I am over that now.

Yes, Arctic Cat owns it. My Nytro ran flawless, started perfect, idled perfect, had more power. From what I was told by my dealer is they're (CAT) is trying to get it back to the Nytros tuning. But, at the end of the day Yamaha should be doing something about this. I have already started looking into other brands of sleds with the end of the season deals coming out. I have only owned Yamaha for 20 years but I am over that now.

I'm hoping to go over my sled sometime this week to check on things. So far all I've noticed is that all 4 rivets that hold the snowflap on are loose, but not broken yet. Flap has a bit of play in it but nothing serious. Only 2500kms on sled and no issues other than the flap & this starting problem. I'm going to keep my sled for now because I really do love it, I'm never sore after a full hard day of riding, and the fuel mileage is excellent. I could go on all day about this sled but I'm already getting a little off topic here. Excellent sled, just wish cat/Yamaha would get it right.

I talked to my dealer about the 12-21-16 re-flash causing my speedometer to read slow. He acknowledged that this happens when the re-flash is not done properly. Specifically, if the entire procedure is not followed exactly the re-flash will be incomplete. He admitted that this must have been what happened during my re-flash.

He now knows to do a final step after a re-flash which is to try to re-flash again which will indicate a good re-flash if the ECU will not take it. If the ECU accepts a second re-flash attempt that indicates that the previous re-flash was not completed properly.

I will be bringing my sled back to him next week for the second re-flash which he will make sure is completed properly and which he guaranteed would correct my speedometer error. I will let you guys know how that turns out.

Last edited:
I talked to my dealer about the 12-21-16 re-flash causing my speedometer to read slow. He acknowledged that this happens when the re-flash is not done properly. Specifically, if the entire procedure is not followed exactly the re-flash will be incomplete. He admitted that this must have been what happened during my re-flash.

He now knows to do a final step after a re-flash which is to try to re-flash again which will indicate a good re-flash if the ECU will not take it. If the ECU accepts a second re-flash attempt that indicates that the previous re-flash was not completed properly.

I will be bringing my sled back to him next week for the second re-flash which he will make sure is completed properly and which he guaranteed would correct my speedometer error. I will let you guys know how that turns out.
That's exactly the problem! First dealer I took mine too never completed it, took it to another dealer and he said the first flash wasn't completed properly.

That's exactly the problem! First dealer I took mine too never completed it, took it to another dealer and he said the first flash wasn't completed properly.

So now I have to go argue with my service guy...

Tell em that's what's happened, if he doesn't like it then go to another dealer...

this is a crazy one. I've always found the viper speedo to be very accurate, based on gps readings. This fall I had an ice attak track installed. I've put on 800 miles with it. And I've been thinking that I must be getting old because I used to ride much faster. 35 feels very fast on the trail. Hmm. And yet people say I'm riding too fast... the girls in the group mostly.

Then I set up my gps to display speed. When the speedo says I'm going 40 the gps says 51. 25 is actually 32-33. 50 is 62. Has anyone seen this? Does it have something to do with the new track and how they installed it? Is there a way to calibrate?

Crazy, huh?

Ok I beg to differ. When 17 Flash #2 came out my dealer was directly informed by Yamaha that it was to correct the speedo error in the 17 #1 flash. The error in Speedo was there whether or not the complete flash was installed or not. Seeing how they are flashed I have a hard time believing that its even possible for the sled to run unless the flash is completed fully. I believe if a tech was blamed it is just a case of someone passing the buck to cover for Yamahas error.If your speedo is off just get 17#2 flash and go ride. If you want to blame someone blame Corporate not the poor tech. Guys IF and I don't believe it for a minute but IF the flash was not completed that is also Yamaha who should be blamed for it. These downloads are easily made to be idiot proof in other words it forces you to complete entire thing in order. Any one of us could do the flash with 5 minutes of training. Do not overthink this. Do not blame anyone but Yamaha themselves.

Ok I beg to differ. When 17 Flash #2 came out my dealer was directly informed by Yamaha that it was to correct the speedo error in the 17 #1 flash. The error in Speedo was there whether or not the complete flash was installed or not. Seeing how they are flashed I have a hard time believing that its even possible for the sled to run unless the flash is completed fully. I believe if a tech was blamed it is just a case of someone passing the buck to cover for Yamahas error.If your speedo is off just get 17#2 flash and go ride. If you want to blame someone blame Corporate not the poor tech. Guys IF and I don't believe it for a minute but IF the flash was not completed that is also Yamaha who should be blamed for it. These downloads are easily made to be idiot proof in other words it forces you to complete entire thing in order. Any one of us could do the flash with 5 minutes of training. Do not overthink this. Do not blame anyone but Yamaha themselves.

Problem is my service guy told me over the phone that Yamaha site says no new flash for my vin #...haven't had time to drive up there so I'm preparing myself...they hate when I mention the internet/ty4stroke.

Back