• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper 2016 flash poll and Thread

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

• start instantly

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Now it take 2 attemps to start

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • start better than before

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • no difference

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • My speedometer is now unaccurate

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Has your sled stalled since latest flash

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Has Your sled had a extremely loud backfire since flash

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
There are magnets in the rubber cap on the driveshaft and if they come out you can get a bad reading. Look at it this way... your sled is now showing less mileage than it actually has... ;)!

That's another confusing thing. The distance is correct. The odometer matches the distance on the gps. Just speed is incorrect.

I have the same problem after i got the new flash. Dealer confirmed the flash is the problem and is waiting on a fix

That makes no sense to me. The speedometer should record miles travelled, how else would it?

I completely agree! I was thinking the same thing, which is why I was monitoring it. My first thought was that we had actually ridden much further than I thought... but that's not the case.

As for it being the flash, my GF has a 2016, and I have the 2015. We both got the new flash at the same time... before the season started. Hers, while I have not checked by gps, seems to display the right speed. If any snow comes along, I will check hers with the gps too.

If you got the flash any time before Dec. 21 or so the odds are close to 100% that your speedo is off because of that.

If you got the flash any time before Dec. 21 or so the odds are close to 100% that your speedo is off because of that.
Right and who knows what else was balled up in that first release. Speedo and Odometer maybe has separate programing. Who knows. Point is if you had the flash 17.1 go down and get 17.2 asap.

Good stuff guys! I printed out the YSDT user guide. It does look like my dealer is misinformed regarding the cause of my speedo error. The plan was for me to bring my sled to him next week for a second re-flash of the exact same 12-21-16 flash that he installed prior to the speedo error. The reasoning behind this was that the previous re-flash was not completed properly which was the cause of the speedo error.

It sounds now like that would have been impossible. If my dealer does not have a newer flash than what he used in December, then this will not correct the speedo error, correct? What would happen if he tried to re-flash the exact same 12-21-16 flash again? I had heard that the ECU would not even accept it if the previous identical flash had previously been successfully installed, correct?

If so, what is the date of the flash that he needs to install to fix my speedo error?

Good stuff guys! I printed out the YSDT user guide. It does look like my dealer is misinformed regarding the cause of my speedo error. The plan was for me to bring my sled to him next week for a second re-flash of the same 12-21-16 flash that he installed prior to the speedo error. The reasoning behind this was that the previous re-flash was not completed properly which was the cause of the speedo error.

It sounds now like that would have been impossible. If my dealer does not have a newer flash than what he used in December, then this will not correct the speedo error, correct? What would happen if he tried to re-flash the exact same 12-21-16 flash again? I had heard that the ECU would not even accept it if the previous identical flash had previously been successfully installed, correct?
You are correct in all. You and your dealer have nothing to lose and no harm will be done in trying to load a flash .If newest is not there he needs to update his tool. If he has already and worst case you already have the latest flash in yours. Tool will just not do a flash. Takes 5 minutes at most.

Thanks for the fast reply. How can the dealer know if he has the latest flash? In other words, how are the flashes identified to distinguish them from one another? Are they identified by release date? If so, what release date flash do I need?

Last edited:
So, how do I check what flash I have?
Bring it to dealer and have them try to flash it again if in doubt. The tool program will only put the latest flash in. Make sure your dealer has updated the tool. YDS is supposed to show update status also but I would not trust that to be totally updated. I could be wrong on that though. Might be automatically updated. If not definitely don't trust it. So best is just to try to flash again.

Thanks for the fast reply. How can the dealer know if he has the latest flash? In other words, how are the flashes identified to distinguish them from one another? Are they identified by release date? if so, what release date flash do I need?
I don't know the specifics and they sure aren't going out and telling everyone about the flash to fix the previous flashes! I believe it is dated. Yes would have been easier if they just named it Speedo fix or something. Makes a guys head spin trying to keep track of all the stuff.

I don't know the specifics and they sure aren't going out and telling everyone about the flash to fix the previous flashes! I believe it is dated. Yes would have been easier if they just named it Speedo fix or something. Makes a guys head spin trying to keep track of all the stuff.
Agreed!

If you can trust this and I don't. Your dealer can also check status on YDS. Problem is I only see one flash available for mine and we all know there was two in the past few months. I got neither.
Warranty.jpg

Back