• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SR VIPER FUEL PUMP FILTER LEAK...FIRE DANGER

bigdog_mike

Lifetime Member
Had a real fire hazard on the Viper today the fuel line connector that attached the gas line to the fuel filter came off and sprayed fuel everywhere...REAL FIRE HAZARD was able to pull off the side cover and throw snow on the line and exhaust pipe before a fire started, have contacted the dealer and the Michigan Yamaha service rep about this near disaster...the wife was covered with gas and they have to replace her riding gear too...PLEASE CHECK YOUR VIPER TO MAKE SURE YOUR GAS LINE CONNECTOR IS PROPERLY ATTACHED TO THE FILTER

DAVE-VIPER-GAS-LEAK_zps6885b7ee.jpg

glad to hear everyone is alright and no fire was started, this is just crazey with the quaility control thats coming out of these places these days, ever since yamaha products like atvs and sleds have started to be assy in the usa quality has gone down hill, might as well buy a polaris LOL

rough rider said:
glad to hear everyone is alright and no fire was started, this is just crazey with the quaility control thats coming out of these places these days, ever since yamaha products like atvs and sleds have started to be assy in the usa quality has gone down hill, might as well buy a polaris LOL

Sorry for straying off topic but I would completely disagree about the ATV's, just as good if not better then when they were made in Japan! :yam:

The Vipers are not up to the standards we are accustom to but every Viper owner Ive spoken with hasn't experienced the issues some have.

Anyways I am sorry to hear about your issue, hopefully they get it all sorted out for you!

Added it to the Facts section. I will look.pull and prod my filter connections. Only time I have ever seen these Oetiker clamps fail to hold well is if the regulator or a plugged return line caused pressure to spike. Our pumps are easily capable of producing well over 100 psi and it would blow the line at that pressure. Was it running fine before and after?

Fuel leak

The problem was that the odeker clamp was never crimped from factory ! I am surprised it took 120 miles for it to blow off. I talked to Yamaha customer service and engineering today and they said they will instruct the dealers to inspect all unsold and any sled coming into the dealers for unclamped or lose clamps.

The only other problem I have is all the gear got soaked with gas.

The sled ran good before other then code 1338 and the sled ran good after I reattached the hose with a zip tie, I have a screw clamp in place till I get the dealer to replace it.

Not thrilled with AC Quality right now.

cannondale27 said:
Added it to the Facts section. I will look.pull and prod my filter connections. Only time I have ever seen these Oetiker clamps fail to hold well is if the regulator or a plugged return line caused pressure to spike. Our pumps are easily capable of producing well over 100 psi and it would blow the line at that pressure. Was it running fine before and after?[/

Checking mine, thanks for the info.

FILTER CLAMP FAILURE

Dave thanks for explaining how this fuel line connector failed...on my other post about the shock failure the guys thought that I had one wild first ride with the gas line and the shock failure... :Rockon:

Its below the right handle bar below the plastics. You should be able to see it from the exhaust side with the panel removed.

Subaru2006

DeerHuntr said:
Where exactly is the filter

Not a tough quality trail for Yamaha cat - get serial # find date of manufacture see who worked that line that day show them the thread! ask them why they shouldn't be shown the door?

So glad not reading about terribly burnt rider.... Wow what an awful potential.

I sure hope Yamaha or Cat both steps in and let's the workers and public know they are doing something about quality control

glad to hear no one was hurt, could have been disastrous. is this on the same sled that you broke your suspension or a different one?

Back