• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SR Viper Hi-Flow Intake Kit

4-5 hp. No need for a PCV if the muffler is stock.

No bog from idle, although in any drag race function I wouldn't recommend leaving from idle, I would recommend leaving from just below clutch engagement.

Intake temp sensor gets zip tied to the wire harness.

The Viper is truly very restricted in the intake and muffler areas. With just a intake kit and free flowing muffler 10-12 hp can be gained, but for both items you will need a Power Commander V to help with fueling. For about $1350 you can pick up 10-12 hp and that would include intake, muffler modifications, Power Commander, and clutching.

The stock air box is very restrictive, you can drill a ton of holes, but there is still restriction and drilling holes can change the characteristics of the air flow through the air box as well. When you put our K&N filter kit on, the air intake is no longer the restriction, the restriction is the size of the throttle body itself. We learned this on the air flow bench when playing with different combinations.

This sled never had a hard or no start problem in 500 miles so far, so unfortunately I can't tell you if it will change that or not.

"The stock air box is very restrictive, you can drill a ton of holes, but there is still restriction and drilling holes can change the characteristics of the air flow through the air box as well."

Have to agree with Mr. Ulmer here. Drilling holes at random in any Yamaha air box I know, isn't going to help much. You have to know where to drill to prevent creating turbulence and even then I would guess his kit is still better. Point being don't drill an airbox if you do not have experience, you could make it worse.

Just my thoughts but if you have a can and are thinking of getting the intake why not get the PCV as well, that way you are allowing the performance products to reach their full potential. The stock fuel mapping will more than likely work but you will no doubt be a tad on the lean side.

The last part of the quoted text is why I asked.......when I asked someone from (Oh crap, I can't remember the company name........the ones that developed the full exhaust with Hindle), he replied that with the full Hindle exhaust they actually use the PCV to REMOVE fuel from the map.......seems the stock map is extremely fat and they use the PCV to lean it down some for best performance........therefore I was wondering what effect the intake would have with the MBRP can which is only very slightly less restrictive than stock.......other comments?

Gotcha..like I said, every machine is different and will require a slightly different tune. Generally stock fuel mapping is going to be on the conservative side and plenty rich so leaning out a mixture will more than likely be in order. With intake and exhaust however I wouldn't trust stock mapping even if it is a can

...... With intake and exhaust however I wouldn't trust stock mapping even if it is a can

O.K., I appreciate your responses and I'm not picking.......I'm just in somewhat of a logical quandary here......assuming the MBRP can is NOT as free flowing as the full Hindle exhaust, and likewise assuming that like the Canadian performance guy told me the truth about removing fuel, then I can't help but wonder how that could make it too lean????????

I'm mainly referring to if u were to go with ulmers k&n intake kit and a can you have more airflow going in and more going out..with more air you need more fuel. Yes MAYBE the stock mapping is too rich and needs fuel taken away, I don't know for sure if it does or not as I have no proof but even if a can is not as free flowing as a full exhaust it is still less restricted than stock exhaust, otherwise it wouldn't make any power. My point above was mainly saying that, if you're going to invest the money in the intake and some form of exhaust, why not spend the extra money on the pcv and get the proper fuel mapping. Not saying stock won't work because I'm sure it will but if you have roughly $600 between an intake and exhaust you have a decent amount invested and if it were my money that I put out there I'd spend the extra to make sure it's working with proper mapping.

I'm mainly referring.....etc.......

I don't disagree with any of the points you make........I just want to know what really goes on when you tweak these various pieces parts......I'm not the least bit worried about having the "baddest sled in the barn"..........WAAAYYY too old & fat for that<G>........I just like stuff to run decent and sound decent.......not exceptionally loud or anything but since I live & ride in the central U.P. of MI noise is not that much of an issue here........might be down the road, but not currently.......I guess what I'm trying to find out is if it will work, safely, without the PCV.........us old, retired, fixed-income guys have to pinch a few pennies here and there...........;(

My dealer who does a lot of performance stuff did a lot of testing this past winter. Along with a lot of dyno runs. Their intake setup with a can and pcv had I believe 12-14hp gain. The can was no problem but once they did the intake it was too lean. I don't know what their fancy equipment is called to test it but they had it all hooked up to a censor and the afr readings came back too lean and were not safe to run without more fuel..it ran good without the pcv..may have lasted 20,000 miles..may have lasted 20 miles, just isn't a risk that performance dealers are gonna take. Just passing along their testing info.

In 950 miles the fuel mileage stayed within one to two tenths of a gallon of what a stock sled got.

The PCV is needed for midrange lean conditions, not for top end additional fueling. We have a new Power Commander "FC" available for $249.99, it is a more basic version of the PCV.

In 950 miles the fuel mileage stayed within one to two tenths of a gallon of what a stock sled got.

The PCV is needed for midrange lean conditions, not for top end additional fueling. We have a new Power Commander "FC" available for $249.99, it is a more basic version of the PCV.
Will the PCFC work on the cats as well?On the PC website it only shows them available for the Vipers

The PCFC. I thought you had the PCV?

Has anyone purchased and installed this hi-flow kit yet? If so could you post a video so I can get a good idea of the added sound/noise from the intake? Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't have the "hi-flow kit".....I have a modded airbox and an MBRP can. You can hear the air being sucked in at an idle, a little intake noise when on the throttle, but not like the RX1 or Apex with filters. Those were obnoxious!

Has anyone purchased and installed this hi-flow kit yet? If so could you post a video so I can get a good idea of the added sound/noise from the intake? Thanks!
Just installed one last Friday with Allen... very little intake noise from what I can tell...I wish I would have taken a before and after Vid... sorry.

Thanks for the feedback. I sent my muffler to Allen and I am also gonna get the hi-flow intake but was a bit worried about the extra noise of the hi-flow intake. As nos pro also mentioned the modded air box on my ol Apex was too loud IMO. It sounded good but it taxed the brain on long rides..lol

Last edited:

Back