• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Star suspension kit install XTX

another member used a peice of plywood, i tried it and it was easyer to get the suspension into the track. forgot that trick until i has the 4th suspension in for the 2nd time. just makes it easyer to get it over the track drive knubs.

get my shocks done every few years as the rear main one is pricy up here. usually when he gets them i have no nitrogen left in them. i run nitro xtx springs on mine as the stock ones where too stiff for me. always have to pull it up the last few inches because of the stiction in the suspension. rides so well my gf told me to go buy a new sled as that one is hers now.
Right on. I just had my shocks redone in Chelmsford. Guy seemed Knowledgeable about Yamaha. First time for my shocks In 15 000k. Expected mud inside but said it wasn't too bad.

From your prior post about something not right and too bouncy. What can you offer now. Did you change additional components. Shocks reworked?
I tried an mbrp muffler last week and that was a bust. The drone was too much to handle. Sounded good at idle and full flipper but at trails speeds where I ride with the family on the weekends it was un unbearable ..... Sooooo I have 400 bucks coming back to me and am figuring on the star upgrade. They had some high wear parts in the early additions. Arms sloped out early .... Any word if the kit is now designed for high mileage install it and forget it?.
It did seem bouncy when sitting on the casters, however if you put it flat on the floor it acts normally. It doesn't seem bouncy riding it either. I can't comment on durability yet, but the pieces appear to be very well made to me.

Just to revive a yr old thread, I thought Id share my Star Kit experience after two full seasons.

XTX skid, and was all stock. Sent my rear suspension, and ski shocks to Star for a full rebuild. They sent them back w the Star Relocate. I installed all onto my skid, and was instantly impressed with both the rear staying up where it should, and the totally improved handling of the skid suspension on those nasty stutters after a full day of beat down trails. After two yrs and around 3000 kms..they still look and feel great.

As for the cups on the front skid falling out when installing skid into tunnel...I simply wrap electrical tape around the ends, so as not to cover bolts holes, slide skid in with the two torsion spring hooks and wheels off the rails, then peel tape off caps after bolting in. 10 min install. I've found, like others, that removing those two wheels really makes the skid slide in smoothly.

If any Nytro rider here is wondering about the Star Kit, imho, get it. Really transforms the rear.

Just to revive a yr old thread, I thought Id share my Star Kit experience after two full seasons.

XTX skid, and was all stock. Sent my rear suspension, and ski shocks to Star for a full rebuild. They sent them back w the Star Relocate. I installed all onto my skid, and was instantly impressed with both the rear staying up where it should, and the totally improved handling of the skid suspension on those nasty stutters after a full day of beat down trails. After two yrs and around 3000 kms..they still look and feel great.

As for the cups on the front skid falling out when installing skid into tunnel...I simply wrap electrical tape around the ends, so as not to cover bolts holes, slide skid in with the two torsion spring hooks and wheels off the rails, then peel tape off caps after bolting in. 10 min install. I've found, like others, that removing those two wheels really makes the skid slide in smoothly.

If any Nytro rider here is wondering about the Star Kit, imho, get it. Really transforms the rear.

I have elka shocks on the way for my rear skid and was thinking of getting the Star kit. How is it on ditch banging? will it handle bigger hits?? Also what did everyone end up with for sliders? and extra wheels in the skid? I have a 2009 nytro XTX that needs new slides.

I don't ditch bang anymore...mostly trail. But, the Star really made the skid handle the whooped out trails much better than stock, especially at the end of the day when the trails are washed up. Get Dupont slides and if you wanna go one step further, bigger skid wheels (I use ski doo wheels). I have never had to go w a 4th wheel kit...some have.

Fellow Apex XTX riders, have limited funds (thanks CV-19 no OT this year) so doing a single upgrade this season and saving $ for my new Wolverine XT-R 4 purchase in the spring. I am torn between the seat concepts seat and the Star suspension upgrade. I know a lot of you guys have done both, which one would you recommend from personal experience this year then I will do the other next season. I did the Superman bar riser last year, was looking forward to seat however Star kit is praised all over this site. Also is the shock/spring upgrade mandatory or can that wait?

Last edited:
love my CK SKID with custom qs3's..unbelievable!!

Fellow Apex XTX riders, have limited funds (thanks CV-19 no OT this year) so doing a single upgrade this season and saving $ for my new Wolverine XT-R 4 purchase in the spring. I am torn between the seat concepts seat and the Star suspension upgrade. I know a lot of you guys have done both, which one would you recommend from personal experience this year then I will do the other next season. I did the Superman bar riser last year, was looking forward to seat however Star kit is praised all over this site. Also is the shock/spring upgrade mandatory or can that wait?
Star kit.

If you're doing the Star kit, do all of it at one time. It's a system and the modifications all work together. I tried it with just a revalve and no spring or shortening of the shaft. Wasn't entirely happy. Sent the center shock back for revalve, shortened shaft and new spring. Worked much better.

Back