• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

starter removal help

Robbyb55

I am replacing the starter in my 2007 vector GT. I have removed the air box and battery tray. Removed bottom cover and oil filter. Spent hours removing the two starter bolts. Removed front motor mounts and steering for clearance. I have lifted the motor as far as I can. To the point I am lifting the sled. I still have clearance problems. Need an additional 1/4 inch/ Any suggestions? What am i missing?

Not sure where your points of contact are for lifting the motor but recalled reading this:

Well, OK. The starter is out. Removed front motor mounts and pulled it up in the front with two retchet straps. It worked, bearly. I really had to work the straps to get enough clearance.

I am using that lift points by the front mounts. I am lifting from a beam in the wattage. I noticed that someone else used wood across the upper frame. Maybe gives more clearance?

Even with the motor lifted it’s tight. You have to first get the snout of the starter out of the motor. I pried it back with a screwdriver. Then you have to find the perfect combination to wiggle the starter out. We had to unhook a cooling hose on venture we just did. A gear wrench works great on the starter bolts.

OK, old starter finally out by using bracing and straps indicated in other post. Now working on trying ti seat starter and get bolts started. Opened up old starter and the magnets had fragmented in the starter binding everything up. Any special tricks to getting the new starter seated properly. I can get it to seat but once I try and put in the first bolt it falls back out. As you know there is very little room to get your hands into this space.

What a PITA this is. I cannot get the starter bolts back in. If I get the starter inserted I cannot get the bolts in without the starter shifting . I just dont have enought hands. Anyone had luck supporting the starter when you try and start the bolts?

OK after many hours trying to get this replacement starter back in I pulled it out and measured everything.and compared it to the old starter.The mounting holes are 3mm farther out than the old starter and why I cannot get the bolts to start. I also notced that the starter gear is 5 mm longer than the old unit. I would assume that this is not an issue with bottoming out against anything. Now I have a decision. Should I change the end cap that hold the brushes with the old end cap to fix the hole alignment or should I just elongate the holes? The other option is to simply return it to DB electric and find an alternative starter but this will delay the repair for a couple of weeks.

If it were me I would return it & get the correct starter.

Problem solved. Ordered a factory starter. The cost difference does not make up for the time I wasted trying to save a buck. I should have taken the advise given on this site and saved myself the aggravation. Thanks everyone for the help and guidance.

Back