• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stretched chain?

DelgatyXTX

Expert
My viper has the mpi 190 kit on it. I bought it with 420 miles 2 seasons ago and before I ever rode it I swapped the track. As I was putting everything back together I checked the chain tension and it seemed fine. I had a Yamaha tech come take a look just to make sure I put everything back correctly as well. That season I had no problems but only got about 800 miles on. This season I got married in January so I never bothered to change oil or do a full pre-season check because I knew it would also be a short year. I figured whats the difference between 2 short season and a really good season where you can put 200+ miles on? Then I noticed it sounded like my track was ratcheting but only in powder. Tightened it up and still ratcheted. Checked track alignment, good. Checked alignment of extrovert teeth in windows, good. Still ratcheting. Then starts ratcheting on flat trails when I'd hit it hard. Decide to check chain tension. Thread bolt all the way in STILL no resistance. Open it up and the bolt is about 1/16" away from the adjuster. Going to check chain for broken links. So far all looks good though? Im really confused. Going to check part numbers to make sure they used the right stuff from the factory!

Looks like it is in fact stretched but just enough to make it ratchet. Not enough yet that it would have liked up. Guess I got lucky. New chain and top sprocket to order. Totally wore out the bushing in the sprocket. Going to check bearings make sure they're ok.

Back