• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stud or not

stevieu1

Expert
I have a 2006 Apex with 9977 mi. I bought it in 08, it had 2450mi and the track had all the holes for studs. It did not look like it ever had studs in it. My question is, would that track be fine to stud at this point? Even though it is 9 yrs old,it still is in great shape visually. Would the studs be more likely to pullout since it is the original track? All the sleds I have owned were not studded so I don't have any experience with them. The LAST thing I need is one to pullout and ruin something like the heat exchanger. I have pilot skis on it and switched from dual 4" carbides to 6" in center of the ski and 4" on the outer edge. Now it seems to spin a lot more than before. If I don't stud, ill probably go back to 4" all around. Thanks for any input.

If it were me... given the time and miles on that track, I'd replace it with a pre-studded track. They do not grip as well in a drag race on ice, but they do just fine stopping and in icy corners. I'm not a lake racer so they are the "Ticket" for me.

2nd the pre-studded track ICE ATTAK XT, 248 studs made in track I have run in last winter and love it 1000 miles and looks new, last 2 tracks I replaced were only replaced because of pull outs (studs), I bought mine for $475. Delivered from tracks U.S.A,
And I can't say how many guys I have seen towed to trailer because of green snow and studs AINT cheap.
Just my 2cents worth. Last year I bet 7-8 guys looked at my track, tried it and ordered one.

I would not stud a track with that many miles, (smiles) replace it and then stud the new track.

Back