• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stud pattern on Mono skid

right on. For some reason I was thinking I would have to change to V pattern. I really like that pattern. Thanks for the info. Did you ever figure out a patern for your 144 ?

1CS

I've drawn out a 4 - 2 pattern that doesn't use the very center of the track. It doesn't give you a lot of room to work with - but it still has 16 scratch lines which is pretty good. On my SRX I had an awesome 4 - 2 that had 20 scratch lines - but on that skid I didn't need to worry about the monoshock. I'm installing them on Friday afternoon.

VICE108:

Would you be willing to share the pattern you've drawn? I am considering going with Woody's double - single 144 pattern, all in the center, which also appears to avoid the mono. (pic attached) I'd like to see your pattern as an option though...

SnomadTT

Attachments

• 144centerds.jpg
    144centerds.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 185
snomadTT said:
VICE108:

Would you be willing to share the pattern you've drawn? I am considering going with Woody's double - single 144 pattern, all in the center, which also appears to avoid the mono. (pic attached) I'd like to see your pattern as an option though...

SnomadTT

I used photoshop on the woodys pattern to give you an idea of how mine looks. The main difference is that woodys uses 3 sets of doubles that get progressivly closer to the center. I'm using singles - so I dont put the pairs of studs quite as close together as you can with a double backer. I do 2 sets of doubles (sctually singles placed next to eachother) that get progressivly closer to the center. I found that if I did a 3rd set, like Woodys, that it was too close to the center. Instead I use the rows that only have 2 studs to create a V pattern and get more scratch lines.

Attachments

• pattern.jpg
    pattern.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 187
Vice:

Thanks for the feedback. I can see your logic on this. I'll probably improvise a bit on my pattern, working toward something between yours and the Woody's pattern. (avoiding all allegations of copyright infringement!).

Thanks!

When I was at the Toronto Snowmobile Show I spoke to both the Woody's reps as well as the Camoplast reps about the monoshock.

Neither of them was aware of a problem using the pre-punched Ripsaw track (which uses the Woody's 144 center pattern). Both of them said they were aware of people running the 144 center pattern on 05 RX-1's and they hadn't heard of any problems.

I looked at it closely and at least when the Woody's studs are installed the heads are sunk into the track slightly. The rubber that slightly pushes up between them would be what makes contact with the shock - not the stud itself.

The one concern I have is how the shock wears over the miles. My original shock first lost the aluminum radius and slowly became flat. Then it continued to wear faster than the steel bracket that the shock bolts to. At that point the steel bracket was touching the track (mine cut into the track slightly). If it wears this much it looks like there would be stud to steel contact.

What I don't know is if my shock wore excessively because of the suspension and track damage. Maybe a healthy suspension and track won't wear like this.

I ended up purchasing 144 Gold Diggers for my pre-punched Ripsaw. The real test will be when I get them installed this winter, but it looks like it should "just" work without any problems (at least initially).

on the track hitting the shock deal. Is there a way to contact Yamaha with this issue?? I asked 3 dealers about this and none have ever heard of this problem, even on the '05 mono's that they have sold.
I have only heard of the problem on this site. does someone have pics of a marked up track? I would like to see them, print them, and show these dealers.
kind of letting them know about the issue in case of a problem later.
BA

From what I gathered from looking at last years posts on the 05 RX1 it looks like some people had a problem with studs hitting and others didn't. I'm going to take the cauti ;)! ous route.

ReX said:
When I was at the Toronto Snowmobile Show I spoke to both the Woody's reps as well as the Camoplast reps about the monoshock.

Neither of them was aware of a problem using the pre-punched Ripsaw track (which uses the Woody's 144 center pattern). Both of them said they were aware of people running the 144 center pattern on 05 RX-1's and they hadn't heard of any problems.

I looked at it closely and at least when the Woody's studs are installed the heads are sunk into the track slightly. The rubber that slightly pushes up between them would be what makes contact with the shock - not the stud itself.

The one concern I have is how the shock wears over the miles. My original shock first lost the aluminum radius and slowly became flat. Then it continued to wear faster than the steel bracket that the shock bolts to. At that point the steel bracket was touching the track (mine cut into the track slightly). If it wears this much it looks like there would be stud to steel contact.

What I don't know is if my shock wore excessively because of the suspension and track damage. Maybe a healthy suspension and track won't wear like this.

I ended up purchasing 144 Gold Diggers for my pre-punched Ripsaw. The real test will be when I get them installed this winter, but it looks like it should "just" work without any problems (at least initially).

BA APEX said:
on the track hitting the shock deal. Is there a way to contact Yamaha with this issue?? I asked 3 dealers about this and none have ever heard of this problem, even on the '05 mono's that they have sold.
I have only heard of the problem on this site. does someone have pics of a marked up track? I would like to see them, print them, and show these dealers.
kind of letting them know about the issue in case of a problem later.
BA

On my track it really was just scuff marks where the shock rubbed. The shock took most of the abuse, the track was fine.

Only at the very end, when the track was badly stretched did small cut marks appear along the track. These didn't effect the integrity of the track in any way.

IMO, it's not going to cause problems with the track. It's the shock wearing down and possibly noise from studs hitting the shock that we have to keep an eye out for.

thanks, if anyone has there mono skid out snap a pic of the shock where it has rubbed & please post it.
I think my major concern(as long as no real damage is done to the shock) would be the noise of the back of the studs hitting the shock.
thanks,
BA

This is my 1st time studding myself. My ? is if you use double backers or even square single backers do you have to go with longer stud to make up difference of the metal backers. For example 1.25 track won't the 1.325 studs be too short with backers ?

The gap between the shock and the track is about the same on the Mono as it was on the Proactive and the Proaction skid's. I have run stud's in all of them and have seen the skuff mark's that you are refering to. I do not think that the mark's are coming frome the stud's. They are coming from an ocasional stone or debris and because it is a tight spot it will skuff. Most all of the stud pattern's do not have stud's dead center any way. Use any normal pattern and don't worry about it. I studded with a woodies 144 center belt pattern and it will be fine. kviper

finished product

Well here it is. 144 Mack studs (1.325") with plastic Extreme Max backers using my home-made pattern. ;)!

Attachments

• PICT0003.jpg
    PICT0003.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 204

Back