• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Subframe Strengthening Plate (finished)

I finished making a support plate kit that I'll be installing on my 2010 subframe. Email grizztracks@roadrunner.com if you want additional info.

12 gauge chrome molly (4130 alloy) support plate:
http://s589.photobucket.com/albums/ss33 ... %20gusset/

00 gusset kit.jpg

Last edited:
The steel I purchased was wider than I needed so they are cut offs from the large support plate. I haven't installed them on a frame but have been looking at the front top a-arm mount or the backside of the lower rear tower as possible locations. I also thought about installing them under the new center plate which would tie it into Yamaha's lower gusset plate. Any ideas?

I was waiting on a bushing kit from Ulmer and got bored so I decided to make a couple small gussets out of the cut off pieces and weld them in behind the tower. I started reassembling things and found that the added gussets interfered with the small subframe side panels. luckily they flexed enough to still fit without any further modifications.

I installed Ulmer's bushing kit. Pioneer Performance doesn't have any in stock and won't until fall. Now I need to figure out this ball joint problem!

Last edited:
good thread. i bent my Right casing the front end into a snow bank coming off a jump, I bent it back with a crow bar teh same way. I was trying to figure out how to strengthen that area too. i was going to cut a square plate and drop it into the bottom and weld it but i like how you raised your plate. maybe i'll try that.

The upper mounts are a lot stronger than they look. When you use a pry bar to bend the frame back the lower a-arm is being repositioned. Take a measurement off the lower a-arm back to the subframe mounting bolts. I measure both sides and try to get them equal. It's surprising how much flex is in the lower mounts. If you weld in a gusset like mine all that flex is gone.

Since I installed the gussets in the 2010 frame I've added the Roest skid plate. I really like the added protection it offers and how it ties everything together. It's a great product and worth the investment.

I looked at my frontend today and noticed it was a bit off center. Bent it in position with a steel bar. Really easy job and for the next summer I'll take the whole subframe out, reinforce it, sand blast it and then powdercoat it.
Too bad the subframe twist so easy. Had to change the subframe on my Phazer MTX before to.

I looked at my frontend today and noticed it was a bit off center. Bent it in position with a steel bar. Really easy job and for the next summer I'll take the whole subframe out, reinforce it, sand blast it and then powdercoat it.
Too bad the subframe twist so easy. Had to change the subframe on my Phazer MTX before to.
I was working on mine tonight but it's more then a little out of center so it will require some work getting it back straight. But once I do I'm putting grizzs brackets in it to keep it straight.

Back