• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Surprise Oil Leak - but quickly resolved

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2013 FX Nytro
Hey Folks,

Just wanted to share some info that may help other owners at some point.

I started up the sled last Saturday after it was sitting for about a week of very cold temps (mid Ontario). Fired up right away, but within one minute there was a pool of engine oil on the floor...???

Took off the bottom plate and determined it was leaking around the filter. It was not at all loose but still leaked around the o-ring seal.

Took the old filter to the dealer and their opinion was the oil put in by the previous owner was too heavy (like 0W 40, etc.) and caused excessive pressure, which then forced it out of the filter seal. He also believes there was no water mixed in.

I don't have enough experience to know if they were right, but I can say that after installing a new filter and some fresh 0W 30 oil, it was perfect and I was back riding within a few hours from start to finish.

Hope this helps. Has anyone heard of this happening before?

2013 FX Nytro (120")
5,000 km

That was the first thing we all checked for, but there was no indication of water (color, etc).

I’ve been using 0w 40 since 2007 in my apex and nytro and never had oil coming out of the filter...

That’s a strange theory.

Did you make sure there was not an old filter seal stuck to the engine?

I can tell you this I had the same leak (oil filter) within 500 miles of an oil change by dealer (600 mile service). They didn't check to see if the old filter o-ring was on the filter. It wasn't!!! It was on the engine and they installed a new filter with o-ring against the o-ring on engine from old filter. Now you know why I do all my maintenance myself. I taught my daughters when they were in their teens to change oil and first thing I told them was to be sure oil seal was not left on engine!! I only had dealer do oil change because of warranty and it al most cost me an engine and being stranded out in the middle of no where!

Pete

Yes, we also checked for another o-ring being stuck to the engine block, as well as the condition of the one in the old filter. Everything seemed normal. We even checked the old filter part # to see if it was right - it was.

I agree the theory about the thicker oil isn't totally acceptable, but I couldn't offer a better answer either :)

It's always a little unsettling when you appear to have fixed something, but can't explain why, with any certainty ...

Is it possible the filter was cross threaded or something like that and not seated properly. The 0w40 argument doesn't stand up. Been running it for 8 seasons in my Nytro and 20,000km later still running.

MS

Is it possible the filter was cross threaded or something like that and not seated properly. The 0w40 argument doesn't stand up. Been running it for 8 seasons in my Nytro and 20,000km later still running.

MS

Had the same thing happen to me yesterday, small oil puddle. Never noticed it before is it possible that oils slashing around after a rough ride somehow escaped. I just bought my 09 and rode it 4 times and never seen. Oil under it till the last ride , was ditch banging pretty hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is common in these sleds for oil to get into the airbox which can drip down along the bottom of the engine.

I was propping mine up a week ago outside to check something and dumped it on its side. It was over for maybe 8 seconds and sure enough - the next day had a small oil patch underneath. Took the air box apart to check and it was soaked, and so was the engine. PITA.

We all know these engines will burp some oil into the air box under normal operation, especially when the oil tank it overfilled. Put it on its side - definitely.

Could this be the problem?
MS

I'm sure I haven't ridden it that hard since buying it a few months ago ... although everyone's suggestion is probably valid. I don't think the filter was cross threaded either, judging by how smoothly it spun off (still possible though). Maybe the extreme cold temperature had something to do with the o-ring seal on the filter. I'm just glad it was a relatively easy fix.

I've had the o-ring stick to the engine also. Fortunately I caught it and I also use 0w40 and never had any problems. The important thing is you got it resolved

Some oil was sucked into the air box on start up. Happened to me last weekend. Don’t think it was you filter.

Pop off the hood and look in the air box, you’ll probably see some oil in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back