• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tech Tip...Determining if driveshaft has spun

Yes, you can! Caliper/brake pads center rotor. It really doesn't matter if the rotor hub has some material ground off on one side. There will be some space (clearance) between rotor hub and bearing. No big deal. Again, brake pads/caliper centers rotor.

just my 2 cents, when i had my shaft out at 1000miles, everything was good as i was putting in the STORM track, i then took the drive shaft where bearing seats and took a punch and put 5 dimples arround shaft to grip bearing and also smeared a little red loctite on shaft for insurance, yes it was a little harder to put bearing on but it def had interference fit., i also repacked bearing with a superior synthetic grease for added protection. no issues at 5000 miles now.

the new light weight rotors are only 100.00, just get a light weight rotor, black diamond or speed wrx.

I wonder if anyone has tried knurling the shaft lightly just to give it some grip

IMHO, the drive shaft pin is the best fix.
When, (if!!) I get my new sidewinder I will run it it as is until @2500 miles. At that point I will install the riv nuts for the right side panel, service the chain case and upper bushing, install the lower drive shaft with pin and corresponding bearing, IF needed.
@$275 and half a day worth of work.
Done.
I just serviced a 2020 T-cat chain case with @2800 miles. The upper bushing was worn but not to the extent I have seen in the older ones. I pressed in a new oilite brass bushing (@$4.00) and used a brake hone to get a perfect fit.

When, (if!!) I get my new sidewinder I will run it it as is until @2500 miles. At that point I will install the riv nuts for the right side panel, service the chain case and upper bushing, install the lower drive shaft with pin and corresponding bearing, IF needed.
Done.
I just serviced a 2020 T-cat chain case with @2800 miles. The upper bushing was worn but not to the extent I have seen in the older ones. I pressed in a new oilite brass bushing (@$4.00) and used a brake hone to get a perfect fit.
2500 miles without checking or a wedge on the drive shaft bearing ? Not sure that's a great idea, the 22 has lots of anti seize from the factory on the shaft and bearing.. It has no chance of NOT SPINNING AND wearing down the shaft. I did 180 miles on a 21 8000 cat new from dealer and the shaft was worn, and the rotor had grooved a lot.

Done.

Attachments

• 82EA0A9B-E579-4F6E-88DA-E18708021F71.jpeg
    82EA0A9B-E579-4F6E-88DA-E18708021F71.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 155
2500 miles without checking or a wedge on the drive shaft bearing ?
I guess my point is I am not going to worry about it. I will drive it until it wears and then replace the shaft with the better fitting, pinned shaft.

Not all shafts wear. I have seen 2 Cat turbos with over 6k on them with no shaft wear.

This site is the best for finding and solving all kinds of problems with all models of Yamaha's. BUT you can drive yourself nuts reading and worrying about all of it. Read it all and take it all in but dont worry your self to the point of paralyses.

I've been brainstorming something new that I'm hoping to test this winter. Will work on a new shaft and a worn shaft and will not require removal of drive shaft. Should be real slick if it all comes together like I envision. Hoping to raise the bar to the next level for the poachers north of the boarder. Ha

I pulled my drive shaft last night, 0.0175 difference between new bearing and old shaft with mititoyo digital caliper, didn't need to mic it to know that the bdx shaft is going to get installed . Travis, if you want a test mule for your idea send me a pm, my father is in need of something and it can get installed right away.

Can I reuse the brake rotor if my looks like that
As most of us have found when reinstalling caliper bearing and rotor on that side, it fits tight with no play. You need to use a ratchet strap to squeeze the tunnel together for final snap ring on rotor installation. If rotor is worn a lot, the clip will just snap in without that extra tunnel squeezing step. Is it designed to be that tight for a reason?

I think so!

I've been brainstorming something new that I'm hoping to test this winter. Will work on a new shaft and a worn shaft and will not require removal of drive shaft. Should be real slick if it all comes together like I envision. Hoping to raise the bar to the next level for the poachers north of the boarder. Ha
subscribed!

Sure sounds promising, especially the part about not requiring removal of drive shaft.
You’ve got my wheels turning concerning your inventive direction on this problem!

Sure sounds promising, especially the part about not requiring removal of drive shaft.
You’ve got my wheels turning concerning your inventive direction on this problem!
Sounds like a modification of the brake caliper to hold inner race stationary when installing bearing into housing.‍♂️

Back