• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tell me I'm not the only one who....

HRD2PLZ

Expert
broke a few of the "quick fasteners" getting the lower and bottom plate off your XTX. Break-in is over and it was time for the oil changes. So I'm out there last night and it is the first time I have taken the lower and bottom panels off, haven't had a need to until now. I start prying these things out and "snap", and I think oops, better be careful. Then again "snap". Now I'm like, WTF, am I doing this wrong, just put a flat head in there and slowly pry back and forth. Anyway, not a huge deal, but just the same, broke 3 of them and half of another. Maybe plastic wasn't warm enough? Guess I'll try to get a bag full for future use.

On a side note, had to replace my hyfax at 500 miles as well. And looking at my belt last night, the stock one, it is sitting about 2-3mm below secondary, thought this was alot of wear for just 500 miles. Anyone else have that issue with first belt?

Scott

those things are junk go to an auto-parts dealer and get some good ones take one with you and match it up the ones for vehicles are better good luck ;)!

You are not the only one, they are junk.

I found some replacements at an auto parts store. They weren't exactly the same, but they work and I'm sure they are cheaper than what Yammy offers.

I consider those things a 1-time use only. If I am fortunate enough to get them out without breaking one of the sides, then I will reuse it.

How do you guys take them out? I have used and reused a bunch of these having had them in and out hundreds of times without a hitch. You need to use a flat blade screw driver and pop up the center gently first and then they fall out.

They do break very easy. But where I have room I use 2 small flat head screwdrivers. One on each side and gently pry and twist together. Seems to work alot better. I also had my dealer get a bag of 10 or 12 of those little suckers just incase I F---'em up.

I think they are more prone to breaking when they are cold and/or frozen.

What superman said- I broke a couple of them the first time I took it apart, but I was using only one screwdriver. Use two small ones and work them in carefully and they pop right out. Haven't had a problem since.

best way i found out to get them out warm or cold is, to pry one side alittle and go to the other side. if you try getting them out on one side only, they WILL break sooner or later.

i keep about 10-15 on hand at the house all the time in case i break one or two, or ten.

really though, once i figured out the both side thing, i havent broke many.

the yamaha part number is 90269-08006

ski

They actually make a set of pliers to remove those stupid fasners. Body shops use them for cars. We have the pliers at my shop and even with the 'right' tool for the job, those clips break. For assembly they are nice, to reuse they are junk. Buy a bag of them from auto-parts supplier or replace them with push style fasner. It's not you my friend... been fixing cars for 30 years and we break them too. Crappy design... :o|

Mine work great. Pull the post with some small end cutter pliers (loosely gripped). I pull the post all the way out, then pull the base out with my fingers. For reinstalling the base pops right in and once seated the post pushes into the base using fingers only. Pretty simple.

SB

Ahhhhhhhh.......misery does love company. Thought so, anyway I was thinking that because the sled was still cold when I started that they were going to be more apt to break. Will look at parts store for cheap replacements to have on hand.

Back to the belt issue, so I put a new belt (Carlisle Ultimax XS) on last night and drove the sled to work today. When I put the belt on it sat low too. This one is supposed to sit up with the thread line even with the top of secondary sheave. It doesn't. When i take off from dead stop there is quite a bit of squealing for a second or two. Can't quite feel if the sled is running the same, feels ok, maybe, I say maybe feels like a little less pull on the low end. Still got the speedo to 100mph on the powerlines.

Any thoughts?

Back