• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Temp light, Running on 2 cylinders, Flashing yellow light?

stamminen

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Apex GT
Getting concerns fellas...

Rode this past Friday 100 miles. Sled ran good until the second half of the day. Temp light kept coming on. I'd right a little harder or hit soft snow and it would go out. This was on/off half the ride.

Went out to the garage today (Monday) and noticed a little 'greenish' ice under the sled so I checked the coolant bottle in the nose of the sled...empty.

Checked the radiator level. Had a little at the bottom but still low.

So i topped the radiator off left the cap off and let the sled idle. Never had any coolant flow to the overflow bottle in the nose.

All of a sudden the sled seemed to be only running on 2 cylinders. So I put the cap back on and took the sled out into the yard to see what was up. It seemed to be kicking in and out but would only idle on 2 cylinders.

When giving her gas and opening the throttle up she'd kick/burp into 3 but I'd get a flashing yellow ! indicator warning. Didn't notice any error codes.

So i'm concerned...is coolant suppose to be flowing to the overflow? Why is it idling on 2 cylinders. I've never experienced this.

Just an FYI i did overfill the radiator a bit and spilt a little bit of coolant below the radiator. I noticed it was burning it off/smoking while idling. Did I ruin a coil or should i just let it dry out?

Soothe me!

Went back out and looked for codes. Got 33 but only when hard on throttle. Seems like a bog then comes out of it. Was idling on all 3.

Fault code 33= Malfunction detected in the primary lead of the cylinder-#1 ignition coil. Check your plugs and wiring, Also check the wiring (for rubbing) to the crank sensor as I read that can also cause similar codes. Have you determined where your antifreeze leaked out?

Pete

No I havent on the coolant.. I had driven the sled 400 miles prior to having no coolant.
What exactly do you mean "no coolant for 400 miles"
The cap needs to be on to pressurize the system. I would top the rad up and put about an inch in the overflow bottle. If it keeps loosing coolant and you don't know where, I would do a coolant system pressurization test. Worst case scenario is a warped head and or done head gasket.

I had driven on 3 other occasions with no coolant loss I should say. Never had the temp light come on.

If coolant was leaking out of the head it would most likely visible wouldn't it?

Last edited:
They don't usually leak out. The intake stroke sucks coolant into the cylinder and the compression stroke normally pushes air into the coolant system. I personally have never seen a head gasket leak out and down the block

So i'm still getting code 33 while driving around the yard. Sled doesn't seem to drive horrible. Might be a little under powered.. While sitting on the sled what cylinder is #1? What is my course of action to fixing this? I have a trip planned next weekend.

Back