• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thinking about buying a sidewinder

You will absolutely not regret switching over to the SW.

I broke 4 vertebrae 18 years ago, and figured I had at most a handful of years left of riding, before it became too painful......I switched from an Apex and it’s been life changing. More power than I’d ever need, and absolutely the best front end. When set up correctly, this sled rails around corners like a sports car. (Curves and Slim Jim’s)

Best of all....your back and knees will thank you. You’ll be able to ride 12 hours standing up if you want to.

Leave it stock and you’ll be fine. Treat it like your riding buddies will refuse to tow you home, or that you’re riding by yourself, and it will not let you down. Meaning, it can take a serious beating, but if you’re the type to not let it warm up, not let it cool down, your goal in life is to Catwalk, shitty gas is fine in your view, you never check tunnel ice,....it might not be the best option. It’s simply not the tank that the Apex and Vectors are.

I have an original ‘12 Cat Procross with the rounded tunnel. It’s a freaking fighter too, and the SW is pretty much the same. It simply needs to be checked over every so often, and preventive maintaince must be done.

If you’re gonna assume the yami tuners will be fine....you’re very mistaken, and selling yourself short. Factor good aftermarket skis into the purchase. Second, if you’re not getting the very best shocks....you’ll regret it later. After riding with the QS3R....nothing else will do except top shelf. It would be like driving a Lamborghini with 4 donut spares otherwise. If you buy leftover...figure an eventual switch to aftermarket top-shelf shocks. There’s a lot of weight up front, but with good shocks all round, the sled feels like a light 2 stroke.

I did so many “critical “ add ons and such, it made my head spin. None are very important after all.....but I would always recommend a secondary belt adjuster. It makes changing the belt very easy. All the other upgrades are listed in theses threads. I wish I would have removed the lower panel rivets earlier though. Since I’ve done it, I can remove the lower panels in 4 mins and reinstall in another 4 mins.

I have actually NOT even rode my Flagship this year. I’ve been beating on a ‘15 Renegade XRS 2-Stroke this year. Obviously it’s a decent sled, but to be honest...the Cat procross front end is hands down the best out there. It is a great fit for the Yami engine.....and I don’t think any other front suspension could do as well with the Yami power plant. The standard retort is G4 this, and G4 that.....but I’m not sold. If set up right, the SW with the Cat front end is the best, and can be the most nimble sled out there.

Hopefully this helps. Other than Polaris, I believe I’ve kept an open mind, tried everything out there, and do my best not to be too brand loyal or biased for Yamaha. Every freaking sled or brand has its issues. To believe there is a sled or brand out there, that doesn’t have problems or could have been built better, is being naive. Sleds are nothing more than expensive lawnmowers on skis....which unfortunately can leave you stranded and you freeze to death. So far, I keep coming back to the SW as my best option for not becoming a frozen cadaver in a snow drift.

Q. Arrius

The front end mention is very accurate. These HEAVY four stroke sleds when set up properly in the pro cross chassis are VERY good rides! I think the extra hp makes up for the weight. Now if you start boosting up these things your really going to sh^% yourself when the flipper gets squeezed. Stock is plenty but man 270 is just flat AWESOME!!! Sidewinder is not perfect but its very overlooked when it comes to handling and trail manners. Everyone thinks speed when they talk sidewinder, but don’t be surprised by the ride when set up properly.

Hey guys. Just wanted to get some input on the sidewinders. Waiting for 2020 release and then i am either gonna spring order a sled or see whats left over 19s. What are some issues you guys have had with the sidewinder and what are some tbings you love about it. I currently ride a 13 nytro xtx. 7000+ miles and still origonal belt, so that will be a change if they are hard on belts. Thanks for the info

I have a 2017 Sidewinder XTX SE 141 and love the sled's performance and ride. Only problem I have had in 750 miles is the Boost Tube came off and could only go 60 mph. the
IMG_20190217_164058_01.jpg

Ok. How qre they comfort wise when standing as right now i stand about 95% of the time when riding, its just more comfortable for me and helps me to see whats coming at me better.

I stand for short periods of time on rough trails and road crossings ect. Very easy to go from sitting to standing. Depending on how tall you are you might want to change to a taller riser. I believe mine is a couple inches taller than stock

Just got back from Maine
3 winders, 2 procross cats. Said a prayer before we rode, being aware of all the potential issues, and they all ran and performed absolutely flawless. All are bone stock. Great time had by all!

I bought one and love it....until i get on here and read all the problems people are having....As the the internet goes most of the time you see all the bad news and very little good news....

We had a saying that started on another site when I first got into sleds 2.5 decades ago...."They're ALL junk....ride what you like". I got a new-to-me 17 B-TX this season but haven't been able to do enough miles to have an opinion...good luck

You will absolutely not regret switching over to the SW.

I broke 4 vertebrae 18 years ago, and figured I had at most a handful of years left of riding, before it became too painful......I switched from an Apex and it’s been life changing. More power than I’d ever need, and absolutely the best front end. When set up correctly, this sled rails around corners like a sports car. (Curves and Slim Jim’s)

Best of all....your back and knees will thank you. You’ll be able to ride 12 hours standing up if you want to.

Leave it stock and you’ll be fine. Treat it like your riding buddies will refuse to tow you home, or that you’re riding by yourself, and it will not let you down. Meaning, it can take a serious beating, but if you’re the type to not let it warm up, not let it cool down, your goal in life is to Catwalk, shitty gas is fine in your view, you never check tunnel ice,....it might not be the best option. It’s simply not the tank that the Apex and Vectors are.

I have an original ‘12 Cat Procross with the rounded tunnel. It’s a freaking fighter too, and the SW is pretty much the same. It simply needs to be checked over every so often, and preventive maintaince must be done.

If you’re gonna assume the yami tuners will be fine....you’re very mistaken, and selling yourself short. Factor good aftermarket skis into the purchase. Second, if you’re not getting the very best shocks....you’ll regret it later. After riding with the QS3R....nothing else will do except top shelf. It would be like driving a Lamborghini with 4 donut spares otherwise. If you buy leftover...figure an eventual switch to aftermarket top-shelf shocks. There’s a lot of weight up front, but with good shocks all round, the sled feels like a light 2 stroke.

I did so many “critical “ add ons and such, it made my head spin. None are very important after all.....but I would always recommend a secondary belt adjuster. It makes changing the belt very easy. All the other upgrades are listed in theses threads. I wish I would have removed the lower panel rivets earlier though. Since I’ve done it, I can remove the lower panels in 4 mins and reinstall in another 4 mins.

I have actually NOT even rode my Flagship this year. I’ve been beating on a ‘15 Renegade XRS 2-Stroke this year. Obviously it’s a decent sled, but to be honest...the Cat procross front end is hands down the best out there. It is a great fit for the Yami engine.....and I don’t think any other front suspension could do as well with the Yami power plant. The standard retort is G4 this, and G4 that.....but I’m not sold. If set up right, the SW with the Cat front end is the best, and can be the most nimble sled out there.

Hopefully this helps. Other than Polaris, I believe I’ve kept an open mind, tried everything out there, and do my best not to be too brand loyal or biased for Yamaha. Every freaking sled or brand has its issues. To believe there is a sled or brand out there, that doesn’t have problems or could have been built better, is being naive. Sleds are nothing more than expensive lawnmowers on skis....which unfortunately can leave you stranded and you freeze to death. So far, I keep coming back to the SW as my best option for not becoming a frozen cadaver in a snow drift.

Q. Arrius

Front end with curves is great under many conditions, but chewed trails or mealy snow....like a snocross track, with the cat front end??? A riot!! Hug the console over garbage and let er rip!!

The front end mention is very accurate. These HEAVY four stroke sleds when set up properly in the pro cross chassis are VERY good rides! I think the extra hp makes up for the weight. Now if you start boosting up these things your really going to sh^% yourself when the flipper gets squeezed. Stock is plenty but man 270 is just flat AWESOME!!! Sidewinder is not perfect but its very overlooked when it comes to handling and trail manners. Everyone thinks speed when they talk sidewinder, but don’t be surprised by the ride when set up properly.
The Hurricane 240 stock muffler flash at almost 15 lbs. boost , with the Yamaha updated helix , and some Daltons ,is no slouch either .
Moved the transfer bar back about an inch, and now the 137 is a lot more fun, and adjustable .
The shocks on the 17 LTX-LE are great.

For standing alot put the riser forward to where its very close to vertical(not quite). I had mine setup angled back abit til now.....And thought it was fine. But I changed them saturday to more upright now, and man o man its way better for the big bumps.....I can scooch up further now, and standing is even better as the more upright makes it taller too, so Im loving it now.

Dan

Ok great i will have to remember that as i love to ride standing up even when the trails are smooth. Only sit when on super long straitaways or railroad beds.

Back