• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thoughts on installiung fuel shut off valves

mooseflyer

Expert
OK, so we all know the pilot jets on our Yami's are very susceptable to clogging with fuel sitting in them for an extended period. The bowls also get gummed up over time.

I've read about using fuel stabilizers (and I use them too), but I figured storing the carbs dry would be the best option. I figure there are two approaches to doing this: 1. drain the carbs by loosening the screws in the bowl, or 2. Installing fuel shut off valves in the fuel lines and running the engine until it dies after closing the valves.

I figure option 2 is the most user friendly, so that's what I 'd like to do. My question is - would this cause any damage to any components? My thought is maybe the fuel pumps would have an issue here? Thoughts? Thanks!

I siphon tanks dry in all my equiptment and run until it stalls. when restarting, use a little air pressure at the tank to push fuel through. been doing it for 20 years in countless machines.

I don't think it is possible to thoroughly dry out the carbs using either method - there will be fuel left in the system somewhere. How about using fuel stabilizer and starting the sleds on a monthly basis to warm them up and move the fuel through the system? How long does it take for fuel to gum up anyway? It is not a bad idea to take the carbs apart and clean them up on a yearly basis because besides the fuel gumming up, dirt can get in there as well.

B3C mechanic in a bottle before you put your sled away for the season... never have an issue again... those carbs will be spotless..

I fog the engine i drain the tank and after i drain the tank i unhook the fuel line from the tank on my phazer and spray wd40 into the fuel line and rehook it back up so i can get the macine to run and let the wd40 and extra fuel in the line mix and it lubes everything up and never had a issue with anything. We used to do that after every night of racing just to keep everything lubed.

RIGIDONE said:
B3C mechanic in a bottle before you put your sled away for the season... never have an issue again... those carbs will be spotless..

I've tried this for the first time this season, hope it works. It has worked on all of my lawn equipment. Now that i've recommended it to my friends, the local TSC is sold out.

Shutoffs, this was a "NEW, MUST DO" item like 5 years ago. I made nice brackets, purchased really nice and heavy duty valves, . . . and have only used them once. It was all do to a post that someone had fuel leak down into motor while trailering and when they started sled, BOOM. We all ran and installed shutoffs, but no one has had the same issue since. I do not shutoff my fuel when trailering or any other time except when cleaning carbs.

My Advice, Mechanic in a bottle, and get good at pulling the racks and cleaning the carbs. This is just common maintence when using fuel with ethenol.

Indy said:
RIGIDONE said:

I've tried this for the first time this season, hope it works. It has worked on all of my lawn equipment. Now that i've recommended it to my friends, the local TSC is sold out.

Shutoffs, this was a "NEW, MUST DO" item like 5 years ago. I made nice brackets, purchased really nice and heavy duty valves, . . . and have only used them once. It was all do to a post that someone had fuel leak down into motor while trailering and when they started sled, BOOM. We all ran and installed shutoffs, but no one has had the same issue since. I do not shutoff my fuel when trailering or any other time except when cleaning carbs.

My Advice, Mechanic in a bottle, and get good at pulling the racks and cleaning the carbs. This is just common maintence when using fuel with ethenol.

Indy,, YOU FREAKING ROCK!!!! :Rockon:

and i hear you on needing the shut offs when trailering.. learned my leasson with my mowers as going down the road the floats bounce around allowing fuel into the cylinder which goes to the engine base and turnes my oil into a thin fuel/oily non-lubricating mess..

Thanks gents, all good suggestions. I suppose a combination of all of these things would be ideal. The problem I run into is that my machine is stored at the family cabin, so I only get to visit a couple of times a year - and when I go, I'm on vacation and have limited time for maintenance of equipment. When I show up in the winter, I need my sled to run well from the get-go. Maybe I'll try 1. stabilizer, 2. drain the tank, 3. run until it stalls, then 4. drain the float bowls. I'm using Seafoam for the first time this year also, so we'll see what happens next time I get to visit, when I'll accomplish all of the above. Thanks again...

sea foam will not prevent the white corrision from forming in the carbs, ie ethenoyl.

if you do not have the time to install shutoffs, then just clamp it or vise grip it. However, I do not use my shutoffs, only when cleaning carbs.

Back