• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thoughts on my situation....

Doc Harley

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX SE
2017 LTX SE 3800miles (stock power) Started sled and was warming it up. Generally sled idles up during this process, maybe 1800rpm+/-. Not Today, stuck around 1200rpms....about 4/5miles she was going into limp mode at 212°.
Nursed her back to cabin no visual signs of leak. Either on the ground or somewhere in sled.
Thoughts on where to start looking??

Precursor to today....
Yesterday did 8 pulls on a lake (part of the Cisco chain in northern Wis) raced
XTX 1.75" track with tuner & muffler
SRX (completely stock)
Two Polaris850's and a 900t....

if it's out, replace it.
also maybe inspect water pump impeller.

Is there somewhere to drain the complete coolant system?

Is there somewhere to drain the complete coolant system?
The coolant hose on the exhaust side in through the oil change plate.. Take that hose off and she will drain..
I would change plugs if you find nothing wrong within coolant system.. The low idle almost sounds like you were running on 2 cylinders instead of 3?

The coolant hose on the exhaust side in through the oil change plate.. Take that hose off and she will drain..
I would change plugs if you find nothing wrong within coolant system.. The low idle almost sounds like you were running on 2 cylinders instead of 3?
I agree....Just thought it was odd. For a moment a thought a may have fractured the head gasket in one cylinder. Still running very well. I'll follow your advice in regards to drain. And pull plugs to see what's what.
Since it's the end of the season I'll replace the thermostat and pull the water pump for inspection

I agree....Just thought it was odd. For a moment a thought a may have fractured the head gasket in one cylinder. Still running very well. I'll follow your advice in regards to drain. And pull plugs to see what's what.
Since it's the end of the season I'll replace the thermostat and pull the water pump for inspection
I have no affiliation to Maxima but this is quality coolant.. No mixing just straight in from bottle. Good for -34 . 50/50 Mix.
1646415184407.png
1646415184407.png

Thanks, jonlafon...I'll look for it as I button things up.

Also....I have to get cylinder #3 to TDC in order to release water pump?!?!

Yes. Otherwise the balance shaft gear will prevent you from getting water pump out (water pump gear will be trapped by balancer gear).

Ty.....idk. it's really taking along time to get up to 160° I'm 100% sure the water pump is doing its job. With 3800 miles on it, would you replace it as just a maintenance item? Idk......

Ty.....idk. it's really taking along time to get up to 160° I'm 100% sure the water pump is doing its job. With 3800 miles on it, would you replace it as just a maintenance item? Idk......
No, if it's not heating up then IMO the water pump is probably fine but the thermostat is stuck open.

Back