• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thoughts on the 2016 Viper MTX

Nick I think we always wish we had waited for the next model year. Those A-Arms and spindles don't look like they give much protection to the shocks; could be an issue if say you are standing next to your sled with the tether disconnected and just bump the throttle and it takes off and creams a large tree. Also wanted to give a quick shout out for the pro-motion rear skid assembly, freaking love that thing. Really changes the nimbleness and controllability of the sled in my opinion.

Im almost kicking myself for not waiting another year before I bought my sled. Im digging the new 3" track and the narrower ski stance and new spindles. On top of that the sled already comes with a tunnel bag, a goggle bag and wider skis. Im looking forward to testing this sled out
img_zpswebwyxdf.jpg

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/models/srviper-m-tx-162-le

Ride a 3 inch paddle sled before you buy. My Camoplast extreme 162 with 3 inch paddles is much better than 2.6 in the powder, and just as worse in anything but powder. If I had it to do again I would go 2.6 powerclaw. Just my opinion of course as we all ride differently.

I would like to stay at 2.25 but 153 not 141. My 2.25 gets me everywhere I need to go. I use mine as utility as well.

View attachment 106613 View attachment 106612
A friend of mine made this comparission today. One can just assume that the pics are set upp pretty much exactly the same way. It certainly looks like the spondels is a bit further forward on the -16.
I hope someone got the exact figures.

Using a high tech protractor from my daughter's school geometry kit as follows:

2015 Viper MTX spindle caster: 17-18 degrees
2016 Viper MTX spindle caster: 27-28 degrees.

Obviously I'll be off a little, because of the angle the photographs are taken at, but not that much. Pretty clear there is an enormous difference between the two.

My Nytro skinz front end is at 25'ish degrees caster and handles great, but it's a bear to steer, however that has more to do with the axle (ski bolt) offset relative to spindle heim joint mounts, which is something the Viper won't suffer from as there is no visible offset. None on my XM either.

Think the RMK is in the 25+ degree department as well.

Good to see the manufacturers are starting to understand that mountain riders are much more interested in steering effort and turning performance than high speed stability, something that you trade off when you decide not to offset your ski bolt axle, relative to your spindle.

Anyone know when the demo rides start??

OTM

Has anyone tried Skinz front end on Viper yet?

I suppose the front end of the 2016 will bolt onto the 2015's. I wonder what might cost to swap out? I don't see much else that changed and there are 2015 still on the showrooms for cheap.

I'm liking the looks of this front end!!

Can anyone tell me whether or not the viper got the rear suspension upgrade like the cat as well?

So cat talks about the changes in the rear suspension as well but I am not seeing this on yamaha site. I would assume that it is the same?

So cat talks about the changes in the rear suspension as well but I am not seeing this on yamaha site. I would assume that it is the same?

It looks like Arctic Cat is just following Yamaha's lead with the rear skid. The 2015 Viper front arm on the skid already sit about 1" taller on the rails than the 2015 M8000

So are the a arms narrower then the 15 or is the base of the spindle just skinnyer , they said it goes out to 38 i wonder will purchasing these spindles allow 15 owners to suck it into 36

It's supposed to have a 36" stance centered. From there you can push it out to 38.5 or in to 34.5". With a new ski coming out also, I'm not sure if those #'s are spindle centerline or carbide.

Back