• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thunder Products

Doc Harley

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX SE
Was going to stick with Turbo Dynamics as that's what they recommend. (Other brand)
But after some dialogue with a buddy, he swayed me towards Thunder.
I can't speak on behave of their products (yet) but I can tell you these two guys are all class. Very personable, helpful guys that are there for their customers. And I can't say enough about their service. And I'm completely bias (other guys) lol.
As things come up, I'll slowly but surely be looking to them for all future upgrades. Tapp primary would be next on the list. Just a matter of time.

Last edited:

Second! Wealth of knowledge and experience, and they aren't afraid to share. All hail the clutch gods, Terry and Tim!

Get the heavy hitters dialed in and watch out they work! Tim and terry are great to work with and let them know your setup and they send wieghts already set for you from there testing, and usely are pretty close with only minor changes needed, you wont be dissapointed JT...if you put the work in!!!

All of my clutching is Thunder Products and it has worked out great for me so far. I am running a 2012 Vector primary & stock secondary on my tuned 17 Sidewinder. I don't believe there is anything that TP offers for these clutches. Once I had them cut my primary for overdrive, I can pull away somewhat easily from buddies with Sidewinders/ZR 9000's that have tunes that are supposed to be more HP. I saw 119mph on the speedo last winter on typical groomed trail conditions in the Eastern U.P. There was still more in it... but I either ran out of trail, a turn was coming, or I ran out of courage so I let off (don't remember which LOL!).

All of my clutching is Thunder Products and it has worked out great for me so far. I am running a 2012 Vector primary & stock secondary on my tuned 17 Sidewinder. I don't believe there is anything that TP offers for these clutches. Once I had them cut my primary for overdrive, I can pull away somewhat easily from buddies with Sidewinders/ZR 9000's that have tunes that are supposed to be more HP. I saw 119mph on the speedo last winter on typical groomed trail conditions in the Eastern U.P. There was still more in it... but I either ran out of trail, a turn was coming, or I ran out of courage so I let off (don't remember which LOL!).
I thought I had the fastest stock sled @ 115mph. Lol. Honestly, completely bone stock.
It was was blast.
You wick these things up and all you get is midrange punch. Lots of tuning to get them to run good numbers.
I still see guys tune only, claiming 128 or whatever. I just nod.

I thought I had the fastest stock sled @ 115mph. Lol. Honestly, completely bone stock.
It was was blast.
You wick these things up and all you get is midrange punch. Lots of tuning to get them to run good numbers.
Those "higher" speeds aren't always on typical trail conditions either. My 119 was on a semi-packed groomed trail. It wasn't what I would call "loose" but it definitely wasn't packed hard. It was typical groomed snow trail that had had some traffic before I got there but not a huge amount of traffic. Trail conditions make a huge difference in top end speed.

Regardless of the outcome, I am super happy with my Thunder Products clutching and, for my sled, they have been pretty much spot-on with everything they have told me.

It was was blast.
Check out the max track speed on this data log from my sled last year and that is with a 141 x 1 3/4 back country track but that is dream meter speed that the data log records.

data log.PNG

Bob Bob Bob, your speed is soooo far off because of that 3" pitch track you run with those odd ball sized 3" drivers. What's the correction on that? Thats like an old RX-1 or Apex! I had my stock Apex on my road at 127 MPH without studs when I was breaking it in the first day out. Obviously that was a joke, cause that sled couldn't run that speed unless it was off a cliff.

The tune and spedo is obviously setup for 9 tooth 2.86 pitch drivers. Is it even 120 MPH? Add track spin into that and you you'll have your real speed.

Bob Bob Bob, your speed is soooo far off because of that 3" pitch track you run with those odd ball sized 3" drivers. What's the correction on that? Thats like an old RX-1 or Apex! I had my stock Apex on my road at 127 MPH without studs when I was breaking it in the first day out. Obviously that was a joke, cause that sled couldn't run that speed unless it was off a cliff.

The tune and spedo is obviously setup for 9 tooth 2.86 pitch drivers. Is it even 120 MPH? Add track spin into that and you you'll have your real speed.
Lol...I was waiting for a response to my Data Log post:)
As you are aware and I have stated in the past how far my X-TX speedo is off with Yamacat not calibrating the speedos for 3" driver sleds. I did post the the log as a lark with a planned follow up like this.
The most the GPS has ever recorded on any run I have done on my tuned SW is 122mph and that was only once as I usually don't hold it wide open very long. Its proof why no one can base their speed accomplishments on the Dream Meter or they will be very disappointed when GPS reality strikes.

Oh Bob your funny. I sure like this forum with all of you guys on here! It is really a good overall group of guys that "get it" along with helping the others. What are we going to do when we wear our current sleds out?

Sure hope Cat keeps building something like the 998 turbo or better, cause I don't see much hope for Doo with that 900 turbo.

Yes anybody that knows sleds knew that a 141 x 1 3/4 tracked trail sled would need to be going straight down a very long steep hill to reach 130MPH! If it were that easy DMCTurbo and others would be running 150mph+++ already.

With the way the sled market looks currently I will be riding My SW for a ways into the future.

Right on, Bob....but even with my speedo error, I didn't see any other stock sidewinders getting around me.
It was a beautiful & easy set-up.
It's these damn boosted boosts, wicked up 900's and now 850R's that have me concerned. Hope to get everything dialed in & running into them this year. Lol.
Ran an 850n/a pol when I was stock. Damn thing was right next to me till about 70mph. That's when I thought to myself..."this is a little too close for comfort"

Back