• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tips for pulling primary clutch

Use a heavy weight oil, like gear oil, fill it just to the bottom of pulling threads, cut the puller about 1.5" from the beginning of the puller threads.
Always leave the belt on, tie the clutch to the bulkhead support bar with a nylon strap. Use a impact and don't stop.... It will pop... It will always work, I never heard of a clutch never popping off with this method.

Use a heavy weight oil, like gear oil, fill it just to the bottom of pulling threads, cut the puller about 1.5" from the beginning of the puller threads.
Always leave the belt on, tie the clutch to the bulkhead support bar with a nylon strap. Use a impact and don't stop.... It will pop... It will always work, I never heard of a clutch never popping off with this method.
Strapping the clutch to the frame is a great idea. Saves it from shooting across the room.
MS

Geez, some of you fellas are gonna have this guy so scared to even try....lol.
It makes a bang but it doesn't shoot anywhere. It isn't a cannon.
GL

GL
I got er!!! Stuck with water and just repeated the process, put a bit if grease over the teflon tape and sent the impact full speed, happy to report no injuries occurred!!

Yes 1/2 drive but i do think its under powered its not a high torque model. Im going to grab the snap on its considerably stronger.
Even w hydraulic method, I've had to resort to applying heat to stationery side down near center. Helps stationery side to "grow" bigger. Then, give 'er the beans" w a powerful 1/2" impact.
Every time I've had to resort to extraordinary means to remove primary, there is sure evidence that the primary partially spun on stub - NFG. Primaries need to be torqued, then engine ran or even sled rode, then re-torque primary. IF primary even rotates a little bit on stub, it will weld them together! Important to check torque on primary bolt and get it right.

Even w hydraulic method, I've had to resort to applying heat to stationery side down near center. Helps stationery side to "grow" bigger. Then, give 'er the beans" w a powerful 1/2" impact.
Every time I've had to resort to extraordinary means to remove primary, there is sure evidence that the primary partially spun on stub - NFG. Primaries need to be torqued, then engine ran or even sled rode, then re-torque primary. IF primary even rotates a little bit on stub, it will weld them together! Important to check torque on primary bolt and get it right.
You said a mouthfull, very important to run it and retorque wright away, sometimes even twice.

I've found the TEAM primaries the worst to get off. They recommend 50 ft. lbs and resource to 50 after running just one time. I found out the hard way not to do it again the third time. The TEAM does not want to come off! I ruined a puller on that ordeal!

Yamaha says 108 Ft lbs after greasing the bolt, then back off and TQ to 48 ft. lbs. I never have issues getting the Yamaha Primary off doing it this way.

Whats the best way to torque primary to 108 ft/lbs without it rotating backwards? Can i torque it with a 110 ft/lb impact torque extension?

Slide a crowbar through the primary. I sometimes place pieces of a garden hose where it rests against the clutch- so it doesn’t mark the spider.

It can be done by yourself but if there is another set of hands it goes easier
Ms

GL
Oh yeah it most certainly can using the hydraulic method. Good idea to leave belt on or secure like has been said above. I had one fly a good 4 feet and hit the plywood wall hard.

Oh yeah it most certainly can using the hydraulic method. Good idea to leave belt on or secure like has been said above. I had one fly a good 4 feet and hit the plywood wall hard.
I've never had one come off like that, maybe eventually.

Back