• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Top Wheel Removal Shop Press

bowtietr83

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
06' Apex GT
First time working on a slide action and trying to get the top wheels off. I see all the threads about using a puller but how do they press them on/off at the dealer? Does the shaft slide through so I could just put it on my press and press the shaft out of the bearing each way?

There is a shoulder on shaft behind the bearing so you can't push shaft whole way through from one side.

I typically can drive shaft out of one wheel with a few good shots with a dead blow hammer.

Disregard this post. Saw he had an 06 apex sled listed but didn't realize I was in the sidewinder forum.

Last edited:
I take the whole upper scissor off - undo shock.
Take one of the 'c' channels off the shop press, place the scissor in the middle and then install the other 'c' channel. Place some 1/2 plates sandwhiching the wheel and press the shaft off the wheels. Its easier to have a second set of hands to hold everything where it needs to be - but not necessary.

To reinstall - i have a section of pipe that is the correct dia, and then using a mallet drive it back on shaft. I have seen several procross skids, and the tightness of that bearing on the shaft was different on all 3.

MS

First time working on a slide action and trying to get the top wheels off. I see all the threads about using a puller but how do they press them on/off at the dealer? Does the shaft slide through so I could just put it on my press and press the shaft out of the bearing each way?
Dealers use this tool.

https://www.countrycat.com/arctic-cat/arctic-cat-0644-570-idler-wheel-puller-tool-kit

I picked up one of these years ago. Glad I did.
Truly makes life a lot easier with the right tool.
No more expensive than many Milwaukee M18 products.

I just did mine. I took the circlip off first and popped the wheel off the bearing. Then I used a cheap 2 claw bearing puller to pop the bearing off. The clip can be a bit tricky being it is on the inside.

Back