• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Track cutting

Jeepjklabrador

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 sr viper mtx
2014m8000
2012 skandic swt
Guys im considering cutting down no 2.6 power claw to a 2" i have heard pf a few ppl doing it anyone on here have personal experience with this pros/cons using the sled for cains quest endurance race i am gonna purchase a 2.25 for a spare track but am considering cutting the 2.6 for my main track

I have cut down two tracks one was a Challenger 136 x 2" I cut down to a 1-1/2" lug in order to fit it under the wifes Cat F-series sled. The other was a Polaris 5.1 track (same track as used on the Assults and the Pros) it was a 146 x 2.4" lug i cut down to a true 2" lug. I did this to the polaris track for two reasons 1 for better tunnel clearence and 2 for better down hill breaking as the polaris 5.1 lug tips are too soft. I used a sawzaw with the blade facing backwards and the back side of the blade sharpened and used WD40 for lube.

I pretty much copied this guy

I seen the vid before thanks , how did they hold up after you cut them?

I have two seasons on both tracks with no problems, just make sure you make clean cuts. WD40 makes the rubber slice like butter

Thanks tricky nick did you spray the blade or the track?

Last edited:
We ran a 153 2.25 powerclaw on our red Viper last year and put a 153 2.6 powerclaw on for this year. I could not tell any difference on the hard pack roads and hard snow trails. Not sure cutting it down will net much, and in deep snow the 2.6 rocks! But then we do not run ours over 85mph.

Now my 3 inch on my blue Viper does NOT like any kind of hardpack.

The reason behing not running a 2.6 is first of all when the race gets up real nothern around nain there very low snow conditions and we need to make good fuel econemy as well so citting .6 off every lug will greatly reduce the rotating mass while still being good in the deep stuff with a 2" lug

The reason behing not running a 2.6 is first of all when the race gets up real nothern around nain there very low snow conditions and we need to make good fuel econemy as well so citting .6 off every lug will greatly reduce the rotating mass while still being good in the deep stuff with a 2" lug

Makes sense on the fuel mileage.

I cut down the 2.25 maverick track to about 1.9 at around 2000kms. put 10000kms on it after that with no torn or missing lugs after. The maverick actually hooked up better after it was cut down but the PC don't fold over like the Mav did before it was cut.

Back