• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Track patch or replace?

RDOG907

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Yamaha Sidewinder MTX 162
20230803_161449.jpg
20230803_161442.jpg

might be good for a ride or 2 but i would not count on it lasting at all. i would replace.

might be good for a ride or 2 but i would not count on it lasting at all. i would replace.
What I thought, I was going to keep it as a backup track

2.52 used to be the common track drive pitch from the 90's into at least the mid 20 teens. now 2.86 seems to be the common pitch used by manufacturers for trail sleds.

To be honest, when I read @HighSpeedLowDrag comment of it not being a 2.52 pitch track, I didn't take that as his recommendation of it being a superior track but that it failed because possibly the OP had 2.86 drivers but was using a 2.52 pitch track but I could be wrong.

I too agree with maim in that if you are limited in what is available for 2.52 pitch tracks, you can always swap out drivers to a 2.86 ones so that you have more of a selection of 2.86 pitch tracks to choose from.

2.52 used to be the common track drive pitch from the 90's into at least the mid 20 teens. now 2.86 seems to be the common pitch used by manufacturers for trail sleds.
To be honest, when I read @HighSpeedLowDrag comment of it not being a 2.52 pitch track, I didn't take that as his recommendation of it being a superior track but that it failed because possibly the OP had 2.86 drivers but was using a 2.52 pitch track but I could be wrong.

I too agree with maim in that if you are limited in what is available for 2.52 pitch tracks, you can always swap out drivers to a 2.86 ones so that you have more of a selection of 2.86 pitch tracks to choose from.
It ripped the lug off because it was being rode hard and probably tasted a rock.

This is an MTX 162 so it is a 3.00 pitch track. Neither comment really contributed to my question. Everything is stock currently.

I'll probably glue the track and reinforce with some stainless wire around the affected area for now if I ride this year if not then ill likely replace it with a 2ply composit track.

Well, if you decide to repair, curring time will be your best friend for best results. This is the 3M waterproof sealant that I've used. Your damage does not seem as bad so if anything, I would use something like this to just 'patch up' that area so as to prevent it from fraying/delaminating further.

Sealant.jpg

Well, if you decide to repair, curring time will be your best friend for best results. This is the 3M waterproof sealant that I've used. Your damage does not seem as bad so if anything, I would use something like this to just 'patch up' that area so as to prevent it from fraying/delaminating further.

View attachment 175324
I'll check that out. I was also recommended loctite 404

Carroll Tech is who I use when needing track repair. They repair stud tear outs, missing lugs etc. Located in New York. Cheaper alternative than replacement.

Back