• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Track Swap to 1.75 B/C

wshellrider

Extreme
I want to switch the stock track to a 1.75 BackCountry on my 2012 nytro xtx. I have a couple of questions:
  • Is there a benefit with going with a single ply or a double ply track as I see both are available
  • Should I be re-gearing to run this track? If so to what?
  • Is there anything else I should be doing to run this track?
I know I have to remove the tunnel protectors, which shouldn't be a big deal. I would like to get this all put together before the winter arrives so I can ride and not spend too much time in the garage!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

single ply will be lighter than 2 ply. 2 ply is more durable and tends to last longer.

Gear down to 20/39 gearing with the track swap. You will lose some top end but pick it up bottom to mid range. If you want to tweak your clutching, go with a set of 14.5 mm rollers and YPY primary spring. You will be amazed at the difference this makes to the nytro!

Gearing down, clutching, extroverts (plus anti-stab wheels). I removed my tunnel protectors but my buddy still runs his because he runs his track pretty tight without the extroverts. The radiator protectors do need to come off up front under the tunnel though.

Gear down to 20/39 gearing with the track swap. You will lose some top end but pick it up bottom to mid range. If you want to tweak your clutching, go with a set of 14.5 mm rollers and YPY primary spring. You will be amazed at the difference this makes to the nytro!

x2
Last year I dropped a tooth in gearing, added the backcountry track and still got 155 km/h on gps. Do what Radianguy said to clutching mods. IT WORKS! I also removed the tunnel protectors and found it had quite a bit less ice build up.

What size extroverts do I need? 8"? Hibshman25 can you ship to Manitoba, canada?

Extroverts are measured by amount of teeth. Stock drivers are 9 tooth. I would think you want to stay with 9 tooth. I ship to Canada via USPS.

on some sleds you have to turn down the extroverts 1/4" to clear the tips of the rails. i had to on my 05 war.

I was emailing the guys at Schmidt Brothers and they suggested dropping to 19 teeth instead of 20. Does anyone have an opinion on 19 vs 20 teeth? I assume the more teeth you drop the better low end and the more loss at high end.

That would be correct!

I did the 1.75 track on mine before yamaha started offering it and like most people I knew that did it went with a 20 tooth top gear. The nytro xtx 1.75 offered by yamaha also comes with a 20 tooth top gear.

Its up to you, 19 tooth top gear might work, not sure if you will over rev with it?? May need some clutching to get it back to 8900-9100 rpm range. Just my thoughts.

I was emailing the guys at Schmidt Brothers and they suggested dropping to 19 teeth instead of 20. Does anyone have an opinion on 19 vs 20 teeth? I assume the more teeth you drop the better low end and the more loss at high end.

I run a 19. The thing you have to consider is that you are not loosing any top end by gearing lower. That top end is already lost by the added mass of the track you are turning. You are simply matching your gearing to the track you are turning. In terms of choosing between a 20 and a 19 consider what your riding is. Are you a true backcountry rider or do you ride mostly trails? The 19 shins in the deep snow where the resistance is greater, however I still hit 90 mph on the trails (92-95 on speedo depending on snow). I am also running a Schmidt Bros clutch kit.

Back